• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Adding a hatch or two to my boat. Looking for input.

LTE

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
16   0
Reaction score
I have a Tracker Pro Team 175 TDX from 09. Thinking about adding a couple of hatches to the rear and maybe one or two to the front deck as well.

Anyone here done this? Is there room between the deck and hull to do so?

Post a pic or two and I can probably give you some insight... Under the floor is stringers (wood framing running front to rear) glassed/matted into the hull. Voids between usually filled with foam. You probably have a better chance at the front, you likely have fuel tank and well lines at the rear with minimal extra room.

Hope this helps.

100_1884.JPG100_1885.JPG100_1886.JPG100_1887.JPG

Yah metal boat. I was thinking glass. I'd be reasonably certain you have some hollow voids up front and no structure other than the framing that's giving that platform area structure. If you look up in the area of the front from the one storage area I can see in the pic how far forward can you see? Probably have room to do what you want just might want to box em in or something so that you can keep strength so you can stand up there

I'd guess that those cubed ones on the side don't look like they go all the way forward while the rod storage likely does. What it sounds like you want to do is get some use out of the unused area. You should be able to cut some holes possibly saving the sections you remove and then some hinge work, a bit of react pet and reinforce and there's your extra storage/access. It's certainly not outside the realm of a skill saw/sawzall then a drill and some screws.

Without sticking in gym head in there I can't guesstimate on what amount of useable area your going to have but you should be able to figure that with a tape measure, flashlight etc. I'd make my best figuring on where I want the openings, what there intended purpose was, then drill a hole start small and have a look. You don't want to drill through foot control wiring or go ripping through it with a sawzall but everything you are dealing with is cosmetic in nature and not the structure or strength of the hull.

I rebuilt a deck on a similar boat many years ago. There's not as much room as you might expect under there. If you open it up, remember that whatever opening you put on that deck has to be able to drain well also.

Back
Top Bottom