• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advantages or Disadvantage to polishing barrels?

The factory barrel on my G26 is polished to a mirror finish. I didn't do it, it was done by the guy I bought it from. I assume it was done purely for aesthetics, and he did not polish the inside at all. Its a very striking look, but not exactly tactical. Im terrible about cleaning guns, I'm on the "clean them once a year whether they need it or not" plan. I shoot a lot of GSSF tourneys, and put thousands of rounds through it and let them sit for months between cleanings. Never seen a hint of corrosion. And to top it off I pretty much only shoot TulAmmo at the tourneys 'cause they are lost brass matches. It has never affected the function of the gun in any way. I don't have any more FTF or FTE with the polished barrel than I do out of my other stock glocks (17 and 21) shooting the Tula (which is extremely rare anyway). Based on my experience, If you like the look Id say go for it.

Personal taste... You can remove all of the coating by soaking it in vinegar. Put foam ear plugs in both ends of the barrel and then soak tha barrel for a couple hours... Rinses right off. It will not be polished at that point, but a little Flitz will get shiny quick.

Earn the stripes. LOL. I had a Glock 21 that I know I put well over 5000 rounds through and that smiley never showed up, was never really clear anyway. I was quite upset with that.

My G22 factory barrel has a nice smiley going on. Seriously though if I wanted a shiny barrel I would buy an aftermarket KKM or Storm Lake. They are stainless and as someone said the protection of the metal is gone after you rub it off.

Back
Top Bottom