Advice for new EDC

Jahoosafat

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
I am really thinking about getting a new EDC. I have a limited budget and would like to keep it under $100, possibly around $80 if I could. Here is what I want. Must be an assisted opener, non serrated and no thumb lock. I currently have an older Kershaw speed safe and I really like it but would like suggestions for something newer and more up to date. I'm not really a knife guy but I do carry one every day. Just want something a little nicer. Open to any advice. Thank you all in advance.

Are you dead set on an assisted opener? The reason I ask is, there are plenty of knives out these days that use bronze bushings and will "flick" open just as quick as any assisted opener. The good thing about them too is, you won't have to worry about the spring wearing down and having to be replaced.

If you're definitely wanting AO, the only experience I have first hand with budget AO knives in your price range would be the Benchmade 585 Mini Barrage, SOG Flash 1 and Flash 2 and SOG Twitch. Of those particular knives, I think I would choose the Mini Barrage.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/benchm...tedopener-valoxscales-291blade-plainedge.aspx

The downside for you would be, the Barrage has a thumb lock on the back spine. The good news is, that sucker doesn't engage unless you make it. It is a very tight fit and isn't easily manipulated unless the user makes a positive engagement with it.

Last edited:
I guess that I could do without the assist. Any suggestions for one without? If the new bronze bushings flick out easily, I could do without the assist. Thank you for the response!

I guess that I could do without the assist. Any suggestions for one without? If the new bronze bushings flick out easily, I could do without the assist. Thank you for the response!

Oh man, there are a ton of options out there. Knives are a lot like guns....you kind of have to find what tickles your fancy:

Spyderco Delica 4

Benchmade Mini Griptilian (they have a model with a thumb stud and one with a hole like Spyderco)

Benchmade Mini Presidio

Spyderco Endura

Benchmade Griptilian

Spyderco Stretch

Cold Steel Recon

Cold Steel lawman

Soyderco Native

Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2

Man, there's just too many that are good!

If it were me, I would go in this order:

1) Benchmade 555 mini grip
2) Spyderco Native
3) Spyderco Delica 4
4) Spyderco Endura
5) Spyderco Stretch
6) Benchmade Mini Presidio
7) Cold Steel Recon

If you want stay under $ 100 and don't mind going a bit over $80, you could pick up one of the above knives and still have some coin left over for an Ontario Rat 2 (an excellent little folder for $32).

The blade steels on the knives listed above are all pretty solid and will hold a good edge. The weakest of the bunch is probably the mini Presidio. It has 440c steel.....but it is super easy to sharpen. The strongest of the bunch would be the Spyderco Native. It has S30v and actually is probably the best bang for your buck. The downside is, if you are a beginner with sharpening blades, it can be a tough one to do.

Also, stronger blade steels tend to chip out instead of roll....but you have to do some serious hacking to get a Native to chip out.

Sidenote: Benchmade has a life sharp warranty. You send it in and they will sharpen your knife for free. You just pay $5 for shipping. Super fast turn around as well. I'm not quite sure about Spyderco. I think they have a similar deal.

Basically, it is really a huge toss up. They are all great knives, it just comes down to personal preference and what will fit best in your hand and will be best for your every day tasks.

Last edited:
If you decide to go the Benchmade route, you can get them at Cutlery shoppe for 25% off plus free shipping. I just ordered another Mini Griptilian...this time with the thumb hole...and paid $63 for it. Retail is $85.

Mtbr. Thank you so much for the advice. You gave me a great starting point and alot of good info.It's obvious that I am a novice in this department and its guys like you that make this forum great.

Mtbr. Thank you so much for the advice. You gave me a great starting point and alot of good info.It's obvious that I am a novice in this department and its guys like you that make this forum great.

You're welcome.

And I'm actually a douche, but I loooove me some knives!:D

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll help any way I can.

If you like assisted opening, I would encourage you to take a look at a kershaw blur in s30v. Can be found under $70, available with a stonewash finish (which instantly raises a knife's standing in my book because of added rust resistance, and scratch resistance without need for a coating) Designed by Ken Onion, great steel, and still thin for it's size. Not all models are created equal in the Blur though... Get the s30v blade!
I would also suggest taking a look at the spyderco tenacious, persistence, ambition line for an inexpensive but tough as nails blade. I have MUCH nicer knives than these but still carry them often because they cut well and it does not bother me to use them hard without damaging a folder that costs ten times as much.
The benchmades mentioned above are great and I have several of them... Their best stuff in my opinion are in the $100+ range. (The griptilian series is the only one that I truly like under $100)

Back
Top Bottom