• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

advice on my first can..

Duce4trey

Default rank <4000 posts
KEYBOARD OPERATOR
58   0
Reaction score
I want to buy a can that could be used on an AR and on a bolt action .308.

I have been looking at the Harvester, Omega and Thunderbeast.

I am leaning more towards either the harvester or the omega for my first can. The Thunderbeast definitely checks all my boxes but not sure if it is worth the extra cash.

Is there anything else I should be looking at as possibilities?
Is it possible to be able to shoot with it before buying to see if I like it or not?

I know QRF had their SilencerCO event last month but was unable to make it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to regret my first can purchase.

Is it possible to be able to shoot with it before buying to see if I like it or not?

Is the barrel of your 308 bolt rifle threaded? If yes and you don't mind a drive to Pine log, you are welcome to try my Harvester on your rifle.

My hosts are T3 Varmint in 223 and A7 in 270. While it is not the most quiet 30 cal can, it makes both rifles completely hearing safe to fire without hearing protection. For my 270, just the recoil reduction alone makes it worth having it on.

A friend of mine is looking at Omega as he wants option of direct thread and QD.

Take a look at the Dead Air Sandman line. The Ti version is a bit heavier than the Harvester, but it has no barrel length restrictions and a bit better suppression.
For the QD (Sandman-L and Sandman-S), the QD system they use is a step above the Omega's. Again, no barrel length restrictions on the Sandman.

Prices are comparable to the SilencerCo cans as well. I am a huge SilencerCo fan-boy, but my current wait is on a Sandman-Ti.

I just spent quite a bit of time looking into .30 cal suppressors for a 300 blackout. If you're going to use QD mounts, lots of dealers I talked to recommended SIG. They told me that if I care about a minimal and repeatable point-of-impact change when adding/removing a suppressor AND wanted QD, that I need to pick something with a taper lock type fitting between the suppressor and mount. Sig, Thunderbeast, Griffin Armament, and I thinkSurefire also were the ones best suited for precision work because they had that taper lock fit. Doing online research only, I'd originally decided on a Silencerco Omega, but everyone that sold them recommended one of the four brands above over it. Took a dozen people not recommending it to change my mind and Sig was the most recommended. Even at one local shop that had Silcencerco in stock and Sig out of stock. Anyway, I bought a Sig and should get it in about four more months.

Also, if Silencershop.com has good pricing on what you want, a local dealer transfer is included in the cost. Everything is included in the cost except the stamp. They did have good Sig pricing, but apparently got their hands slapped for advertising pricing under MAP. Several other brands are very good to buy there though. I lucked out and found mine on sale at The Georgia Gun Store and bought it online. I've never been to the store, but they were very easy to do business with and helped me through the paperwork the next day.

Also, many shops that have ranges also have demo suppressors for you to try. http://www.bullseyeindoorrange.com/ is a good local one, but I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:
I'm running a Harvester on my LR308 and on my AR15. I like the can a lot and the fact that it is light weight is a plus. It's not full auto rated like the Omega; but it also is about a case of 223 cheaper.

I'd be looking at the Dead Air Sandman-S, Griffin Armament Recce 7, or the Silencero Omega.

The Omega is the most versatile allowing you to switch between QD and direct thread. But the Recce and Sandman have better QDs with less blowback and nice deeper tones.

I've shot all of them. I own a Saker 7.62, and I just picked up an Omega because I'm married to the mounts (yes you can use an Omega with Saker MAAD mounts if you get an adapter), but if I were starting from scratch today, I'd choose between the Recce and the Sandman-S. I'd probably lean towards the Recce 7, but flip a coin because it won't matter.

1clearshot 1clearshot - Yes my 308 is threaded. Not sure where Pine Log is but I would def. like to try your Harvester.

adrianrog adrianrog - Did you get the steel or titanium version? I need to do some more research on the Sig cans

I like what I am reading about the Sandman, my question is if I got the direct thread, can you change the thread to work on an AR or 308, or would I have to get one of the QD models? There is a like a $300 difference between direct thread and QD.

The Recce looks nice as well. Does anyone have personal experience with the Reece?

YOTESHOOTER YOTESHOOTER - I figure no matter what I get I will be happy but since this would be my first can, I am asking for personal experience of what others like and why.

I will continue doing my due diligence. My plan is to buy one next month.

I want the can to be used on my AR's or my 308. I would like it to be light and have no or minimal POI since I am starting to get into long range with my 308. And i would like to keep the price with stamp under 1k. Like everyone else I am looking for the most bang for the buck since I am not sure when I would be able to buy another. ( 3 kids eat up my gun money quicker than piranhas)

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.

Back
Top Bottom