• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ADVICE on next three days

Can't kill them sitting on the couch. I'd look at food plots or browse. Thick pines are usually laden with honeysuckle and is a great late season food source. They'll move during the rain, so get out there and fill that freezer! Good luck and be safe doing so.

30 feet over Crawford County.

High...and dry!

1450817670443-334992859.jpg

Yes they move in the rain. I was in a box blind last year (January in Alabama) when it started thunder, lightning, and pouring rain. All of the sudden deer seemed to come from everywhere into the green field. The harder it rained the more deer appeared. My brother and my son were both at camp watching TV texting me frantically to get out of there and seek shelter that there was a tornado warning for about half the state and one had been spotted on the ground very close by. They were not pleased when I told them I was gonna hold tight. It was scary as hell but I rode it out in the 4x4 wood box blind with a tin roof. Probably one of the dumber things I've done but I didn't want limbs or trees for that matter falling onto me as well as getting soaked trying to make it a half mile out on foot. Even though the tornadic weather finally passed, I still got soaked going back to my truck after it got dark.
I stopped counting deer in the green field of about 3-4 acres when I ran out of fingers and toes but I had never seen anything like it. There were probably 30+ in the field all at one time. And most of them stayed and kept feeding until I left at dark.

Jeez just looked at the weather channel and it looks pretty cruddy with a chance of tornado's the next day or two.

I have hunted in the rain successfully, but I was really hungry! :becky:

Well, like the hard ass (dumb ass) that I am, I made it to my stand this morning and hunkered down under my trusty umbrella and waited for daylight to arrive. It's freaking 8:00 AM and daylight still has not arrived and I'm absolutely soaked. It has been raining so hard that it has permeated everything, including my umbrella and my $300 Gore-Tex jacket. I've survived two thunderstorms already and it's still raining hard and steady.

I am (quack, quack) going to (quack, quack) head back to (quack, quack, quack) camp before something really (quack, quack, quack, quack) strange happens to me out here!

Back
Top Bottom