AK 47'S Best to Worst

wess2000

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
63   0
Reaction score
I am not an AK 47 expert, every AK I have ever owned shot when I pulled the trigger. People on this forum give Century a hard time. It may be a valid argument. I want to know best to worst manufacturers, and what AK's are the most collectable. Price ranges would also be helpful. I have no idea what to pay for some of the AK's. Mak-90's are popular now, but not when I was younger.

Last edited:
Metal quality and treatment. Mil spec barrels produced the most consistent shot when getting hot. Commercial barrels are great and accurate for slow fire one round a minute fire. Mil spec barrels are treated to maintain the accuracy during rapid and/or full auto weapon fire(too good ATF made it illegal to import mil spec barrels). Best barrels ar on Maadi built using Styer barrels the only manufacturer that was able to build a barrel for the desert heat environment. Maadis command a much higher price and are the most appreciated by shooters. When it comes to AK's you have the pretty Saiga, Arsenal, Hungarian and then you have the functional, Maadi, SAR, WUM,Romak and the like that were built using original mil spec barrel. WASR's are built using commercial softer metal. At the bottom of the scale you have the home garage built variety an US recievers such as Vulcan that just look like an AK.

Last edited:
My opinion:
Chinese pre-bans overall most collectible awesome quality
Chinese Mak-90s All excellent quality
FEGs --not as many of these were imported but EXCELLENT QUALITY
Maadis --Steyr imports are the most collectible, ARM/AKMs highest quality MISR-90s/MISR 10s lower quality
SARs--first of the post ban european AKs...had standard milspec receivers..
WUMs/WASRS - entry level AKs -- flat receivers=no dimples.
These are imports. Arsenal AKs are built now built here and are of very high quality.
There are multiple century builds, polish underfolders/Yugo aks that are good quality as well but most of these do not have chrome lined barrels.

Metal quality and treatment. Mil spec barrels produced the most consistent shot when getting hot. Commercial barrels are great and accurate for slow fire one round a minute fire. Mil spec barrels are treated to maintain the accuracy during rapid and/or full auto weapon fire. Best barrels ar on Maadi built using Styer barrels the only manufacturer that was able to build a barrel for the desert heat environment. Maadis command a much higher price and are the most appreciated by shooters. When it comes to AK's you have the pretty Siga, Arsenal, Hungarian and then you have the functional, Maadi, SAR, WUM,Romak and the like that were built using original mil spec barrel. WASR's are built using commercial softer metal. At the bottom of the scale you have the home garage built variety an US recievers such as Vulcan that just llok like an AK.

Norinco doesnt get a referrence? My personal favorite.

you got any references? Maadis were the cheapeast roughest looking AKs when they arrived on the scene here. they were $199 each.

Metal quality and treatment. Mil spec barrels produced the most consistent shot when getting hot. Commercial barrels are great and accurate for slow fire one round a minute fire. Mil spec barrels are treated to maintain the accuracy during rapid and/or full auto weapon fire(too good ATF made it illegal to import mil spec barrels). Best barrels ar on Maadi built using Styer barrels the only manufacturer that was able to build a barrel for the desert heat environment. Maadis command a much higher price and are the most appreciated by shooters. When it comes to AK's you have the pretty Saiga, Arsenal, Hungarian and then you have the functional, Maadi, SAR, WUM,Romak and the like that were built using original mil spec barrel. WASR's are built using commercial softer metal. At the bottom of the scale you have the home garage built variety an US recievers such as Vulcan that just look like an AK.

Chrome lined barrels will hande corrosive and steel jacket military ammo much better that non chromed. Acts as a lubricant too and do not overheat as fast as the others. Non chrome barrels are better used with commercial cooper jacketed bullets and non corrosive ammo (taget loads) Use of full power mil spec loads will cause the barrels to overheat to the point of melting or setting the hanguard on fire. Commercial loads use slower burnning powders that produce a flash signature due to the powder still burning as it pushes the bullet out of the barrel. Mil spec have flash retardent qualities and faster burning rate that achieves optimal energy and reduced flash signature in shorter barreled weapons. US produced mil spec ammo can not be sold to civilians. Surplus must be sold for components only. Claims that some ammo sold to civilians is mil spec are exagerated. All is SAMMI due to liability concerns.

Last edited:
Norinco is built stronger due to the softer metal used by the ChiComs. Poly Tech were built closer to the Russian specs and are of much higher quality. I do remember a time when the SKS's were selling for $37.99 at Classic Arms and the preban 56's Norinco for $145 w/ 3 30rds mads, bayo, sling, clean kit.

you got any references? Maadis were the cheapeast roughest looking AKs when they arrived on the scene here. they were $199 each.

I got 1 back in 94, shot many, many rounds through it with with zero problems what so ever.
I wish I woulda bought a case of em!

Rough looking Maadis. Of course, they used cheap paint on top of finish. Mil spec are not made for looks but functionality in the real world combat which is fast, deadly and ugly.

Back
Top Bottom