AK 47'S Best to Worst

My 2 cents...

The best AKs are the Russian Molot VEPRs. Heavy barrel, heavy RPK receiver and trunnion, and issued to Russian special forces. Chrome lined bore, chamber, gas block and piston. Supposed to be as accurate as an AR. I know I love mine. And they are the basis of some really trick custom rifles from folks like K-Var and TSD.

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

To me the best Aks go like this

Chinese/polytechs
arsenal/saiga
VEPRS
Yugos
Sar series
WASR

Ive really yet to come across a bad Ak I could not get to run 100%. Never liked maddi AKs due to their finish. Simple fix but I could never dig um.

My 2 cents...

The best AKs are the Russian Molot VEPRs. Heavy barrel, heavy RPK receiver and trunnion, and issued to Russian special forces. Chrome lined bore, chamber, gas block and piston. Supposed to be as accurate as an AR. I know I love mine. And they are the basis of some really trick custom rifles from folks like K-Var and TSD.

View attachment 98971

View attachment 98973

Now that is a beautiful weapon

Polytech
Arsenal-Saiga
Norinco
Yugo M70 Series
SAR 1,2,3
Maadi
WASR

There's a lot of other makers & variants out there, but these are the ones I've had, and a few others. I am not a full time operator, but based on construction, these are the best to worst. The WASRs are GREAT for the money as long as you don't get the "bad one". I've had 10+ WASRs over the years and never had a problem with any of them, but have heard quite a few people complain.

My dad has a Hungarian that is STELLAR! Bulgarians are great too.
I'd put them in with the arsenals on your list.

To me the best Aks go like this

Chinese/polytechs
arsenal/saiga
VEPRS
Yugos
Sar series
WASR

Ive really yet to come across a bad Ak I could not get to run 100%. Never liked maddi AKs due to their finish. Simple fix but I could never dig um.

All you need to know...

Wasr is #1 and the rest are worse than wasrs.

but seriously... people pay more money for Ak's with a nicer "fit and finish" and "accuracy" and some of course are more rare.

I buy ak's for their purpose... put bullets on target and have fun. My precision work goes to a different rifle. If it goes bang everytime and I can hit a person sized silouette at 100 yards with irons... its good enough for me.

You wont see me pay $800+ for one.

Last edited:
All you need to know...

Wasr is #1 and the rest are worse than wasrs.

but seriously... people pay more money for Ak's with a nicer "fit and finish" and "accuracy" and some of course are more rare.

I buy ak's for their purpose... put bullets on target and have fun. My precision work goes to a different rifle. If it goes bang everytime and I can hit a person sized silouette at 100 yards with irons... its good enough for me.

You wont see me pay $800+ for one.

i have owned 4 wasr's and a couple norinco maks... my wasrs worked just as well and never gave me any issue except the occassional cut during cleaning. lol

Back
Top Bottom