AK build & receiver bending/other tools

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
307   0
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm interested in building an AK. Never owned one, never built one, wanna give it a try. If anyone around has the bending tools and wouldn't mind the company for an hour or two, pst me. There were some tools on sale here a little while back but I was a bit late on the pst and missed out. Been watching vid3is since then though and am intrigued. I'm out in Athens.

It's really labor intensive and you need more tools/instrumentation than most guys have.

This ^^^^
I have made a Bending Jig out of Angle Iron (Instructions on the net) and have had a Quality one that is milled.
I also had the modified Spot Welder for the rails/ejector and as said above a Hydraulic Press and a Quality Drill Press (still have the Drill Press and Hydraulic Press).
Lots of money invested and have built several AK's, I think it was fun learning and worth the money for that Lesson in Manufacturing a AK Just my .02 worth.
There are several people on this forum that still build these just ask around and someone should chime in with help.
I have not built a AK in over 8 Years.

This ^^^^
I have made a Bending Jig out of Angle Iron (Instructions on the net) and have had a Quality one that is milled.
I also had the modified Spot Welder for the rails/ejector and as said above a Hydraulic Press and a Quality Drill Press (still have the Drill Press and Hydraulic Press).
Lots of money invested and have built several AK's, I think it was fun learning and worth the money for that Lesson in Manufacturing a AK Just my .02 worth.
There are several people on this forum that still build these just ask around and someone should chime in with help.
I have not built a AK in over 8 Years.

I think I gave you a riveter at one point in time......good guy you are!

More than one way to skin a cat.

Bounce over to AOA, Arms of America and check out their headspaced kits.

Rather than a 200 dollar press, ypu can get by with an inexpensive threaded-rod style barrel tool and rivet jaws. I know several AK builders who assemble using this. I suspect the tools combind are less than 150.

For less $$, screw builds used to be the cat's meow. I bought one for the rare hungarian parts, it headspaced good and goes bang when i pull the trigger. I'd think tools and screws woud cost under 100.

Although I trust AOA' s headspacing, I'd still want to borrow gauges and verify once I've driven in the barrel pin.

YouTube is your friend, so to speak.
w

Definately some good Intel here and @GoNoGo previous post. Although there are some costs that start to add up. Things like vises, clamps, quality drill bits etc. Builders squares may not be necessary but are good for straight components, again more $. Some of the various jigs for barrel pins, populating tools for barrel components may not be required but in my limited experience( 1 build, several conversion/debans) really help to keep assemblies supported and properly aligned. Before you know it you done spent some coin, it's a rabbit hole...with all that being said acquire tools etc. over time and not incur all the costs at once. If you decide to buy a parts kit you are more than welcome to use what I have to work on it.

Back
Top Bottom