• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"Alright I got me a new Colt M4 !" .............................. I've been had :(

I suppose this may be an issue if you are a die hard Colt collector, and think Colt rifles are really better than other brands, a premise for which I personally have found no support.

The discussion about the type face being different is ridiculous, as it is probably computer generated, and could be changed daily if Colt wanted to.

Likewise the barrel discussion. I'd rather have a barrel from a reputable dedicated barrel maker, and judging by the posts on multiple forums, so would a lot of other people. Same with triggers, stocks.

Colt AR’s and M16’s have NEVER been 100% made by Colt. Parts like synthetic furniture, pins, springs, etc., are commonly farmed out to companies that specialize in those sorts of materials or parts. That’s usually a good thing; sourcing the parts from a company that ONLY makes that sort of parts. Kinda makes them the SME’s. Why buy the equipment and materials to make springs when that company over there has already been making that spring for decades, and has them in stock?

If Colt used to make their own BCG’s, they have not done so in many decades. Military-issue Colt M16 variants use BCG’s from Microbest.

I don’t know about their civilian market guns, but FN does not make all of their military-issue M16 variants, either. For instance, their BCG’s are made by Azimuth Technology.

The same can be said of virtually every gun company in the world, with the exception of Sphinx Systems from Switzerland. They famously make every single part and piece of their guns, which could be a reason why they are expensive. There may be some other companies out there that do the same, but I haven’t heard of them.

Glock, SIG, S&W, FN, etc.........they all farm out some of their parts to other companies. Is this actually a surprise to folks here? Additionally, I don’t see how it makes a difference, as long as the parts are made to the originating manufacturers’ specs and quality.

What a total non-issue to take up 3 pages........

Colt AR’s and M16’s have NEVER been 100% made by Colt. Parts like synthetic furniture, pins, springs, etc., are commonly farmed out to companies that specialize in those sorts of materials or parts. That’s usually a good thing; sourcing the parts from a company that ONLY makes that sort of parts. Kinda makes them the SME’s. Why buy the equipment and materials to make springs when that company over there has already been making that spring for decades, and has them in stock?

If Colt used to make their own BCG’s, they have not done so in many decades. Military-issue Colt M16 variants use BCG’s from Microbest.

I don’t know about their civilian market guns, but FN does not make all of their military-issue M16 variants, either. For instance, their BCG’s are made by Azimuth Technology.

The same can be said of virtually every gun company in the world, with the exception of Sphinx Systems from Switzerland. They famously make every single part and piece of their guns, which could be a reason why they are expensive. There may be some other companies out there that do the same, but I haven’t heard of them.

Glock, SIG, S&W, FN, etc.........they all farm out some of their parts to other companies. Is this actually a surprise to folks here? Additionally, I don’t see how it makes a difference, as long as the parts are made to the originating manufacturers’ specs and quality.

What a total non-issue to take up 3 pages........

tenor (1) (7).gif

I have both the le6920 and the cr6920 and the upper and lower are identical on each as far as milling finish other than the roll marks. The bcg on the le6920 is a little more greenish than the new bcg with the dotted C but other than that they are the same.

Back
Top Bottom