• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Always, always get out after a hard rain

batoncolle

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
35   0
Reaction score
I am just kicking myself because I sat my lazy rear end inside yesterday. I never get picks of bucks this late in daylight, and this was about an hour after the rain stopped yesterday.

Normally I would let one this size walk, but he was in the clear area I have been hunting this year using an AR for the first time. It would have been an easy 75 yard shot.

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa225_lk125678_IMG_0003a_zps29b289a4.jpg

Read a very interesting article once about a guy who specifically hunted at the end of rains over scrapes. Said the bucks would run around within the hour to freshen the washed out scrapes. (Not sure if there's a late rut in your area) His trophy wall suggested it worked pretty well for him. Can't do it all the time obviously but for some fast moving fronts it would be pretty easy to time.
I wouldn't have shot him either. Hopefully you'll get to see the improved version of him next year. I was too lazy as well. I really need to get out this week...

Can't tell for sure , but that appears to be a 2.5 7pt possibly a cull buck, Don't know if I would shoot him maybe give him one more year and see what happens to his rack..If he is still a seven next year, he goes in the freezer..lol

I was driving home from Cumming through Dawsonville the othernight after work at around midnight. It was a gut wrenching slow ride home...Damn deer everywhere including some pretty decent looking bucks...in the road, by the road, running across the road...one ran down the road in front of me for awhile before finally making a turn. In all, I saw about 50 deer out total between Cumming and Blueridge. The head count near doubled when I got close to home. There was a huge herd in front of the tractor supply place as you come in to blue ridge grazing on their front lawn. Also saw a couple of coyotes. That 2 day steady rain we had brought everything out when it finally slacked up.

This was an 8 point, one of many I have running around in the area. I checked all my cameras, and I had only 2 pics in the rain. All the rest were before and after.

I always make a point to get out in the rain, but yesterday I was just being lazy. I believe I was wasting my time in a useless debate in the Boiler Room. :D

I got out today and did some scouting carried about a mile or so. Only seen one set of deer tracks and a coyote. Mainly checking to see if anyone has decided to place corn out while I was away. No corn but found another stand. Lord help that guy it looked like a death trap.
I've been fighting bronchitis for a week now. Walking is about all I could do carrying a tree stand I'd be laid in a drench passed out.
Sucked being out of work and not hunting. Their wouldn't be anything in a 100mile radius of the crazy cough I had

Back
Top Bottom