• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Amazing pictures of night assault in Vietnam

Army was jealous of Navy...

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_7_77_Bofors_firing_USS_Hornet.jpg

Too cool - I was just in Pearl Harbor for work and saw a 40mm Quad gun like that...

Attachments

• Hawaii 300.jpg
    Hawaii 300.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 27
America developed this thing called a proximity (VT) fuse in WWII. In the 40mm it was devastating to Japanese suicide attacks.

It worked on the doppler effect and would set off the warhead when it sensed the projectile started to move past the target. Freaking amazing technology for the early 1940's.

No telling how many Naval personnel were saved as a result of this technology. Also very effective in anti-personnel artillery applications.

Down in the Delta, before C-130's, they used C47's equipped with Gatlin guns, all mount to one side, we had to give hourly coordinates at night as Puff would make runs on Charlie. He would fly blacked out at about 1000 ft and bank the aircraft in a spiral turn and unleash hell with about 6000rd a minute out of each weapon, looked like a sheet of red rain dropping down. Thank God, I could read a map well, they would vaporize a football field area in seconds. Even today late at night, I look up waiting to hear the engines cut speed..and have flash backs when I eat rice LOL

Down in the Delta, before C-130's, they used C47's equipped with Gatlin guns, all mount to one side, we had to give hourly coordinates at night as Puff would make runs on Charlie. He would fly blacked out at about 1000 ft and bank the aircraft in a spiral turn and unleash hell with about 6000rd a minute out of each weapon, looked like a sheet of red rain dropping down. Thank God, I could read a map well, they would vaporize a football field area in seconds. Even today late at night, I look up waiting to hear the engines cut speed..and have flash backs when I eat rice LOL

Wow, what a story and thank you for your service. Welcome home.

"The guy would stand up from behind a rock and blow off a clip from his AK47 on full-auto. The sniper was shooting at such a high angle that most of his rounds came through the sheet metal roofs of our hooches."

Not a "sniper". Probably just the unlucky bastard from the local Viet Cong cell that drew the shortest straw and told to go up on the hill and annoy the Americans and get them to waste tons of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom