• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Amazing pictures of night assault in Vietnam

Down in the Delta, before C-130's, they used C47's equipped with Gatlin guns, all mount to one side, we had to give hourly coordinates at night as Puff would make runs on Charlie. He would fly blacked out at about 1000 ft and bank the aircraft in a spiral turn and unleash hell with about 6000rd a minute out of each weapon, looked like a sheet of red rain dropping down. Thank God, I could read a map well, they would vaporize a football field area in seconds. Even today late at night, I look up waiting to hear the engines cut speed..and have flash backs when I eat rice LOL
When I was in, had one Lt. Col. Who flew my KC-135. He was a C-47 pilot in Vietnam. Told stories that mirrored yours. Said that they would light up the jungle. He told me about his first sortie, as they were circling, the gunner was yelling at him to continually put in more rudder. When the guns would fire, they would push or drift the aircraft itself off target. Cool stuff!

Down in the Delta, before C-130's, they used C47's equipped with Gatlin guns, all mount to one side, we had to give hourly coordinates at night as Puff would make runs on Charlie. He would fly blacked out at about 1000 ft and bank the aircraft in a spiral turn and unleash hell with about 6000rd a minute out of each weapon, looked like a sheet of red rain dropping down. Thank God, I could read a map well, they would vaporize a football field area in seconds. Even today late at night, I look up waiting to hear the engines cut speed..and have flash backs when I eat rice LOL

Every once and a while the AC-130s come up from Florida to train with the Special Folks here at Benning. They are fun to watch working the ATG range over.

A newly appointed SFC Platoon Sgt.. 9th Div.. I don't think I'll ever be that slim again LOL and a TET survivor ..Lest we forget those we lost..May they RIP
maddoginnam.jpg

Tet, that was a tough time, glad you made it through!

Our hometown lost a couple of our own. I was 11 in 68 and I still remember the climate at the time.
That was a bad as I remember it getting.
Had a cousin that made it out too.

Last edited:
My Medic Tom "Doc" Duthrie. The best dang Medic a Platoon could have, saved many lives. Severely wounded in late 67, I put him on a dust off personally. Then he survived cancer, agent Orange related.. Lives in Washington State, we talk daily.. Great Guy and a hero in my book:very_drunk:

Attachments

• Duthie1G_copy.jpg
    Duthie1G_copy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 22
Medics are way up there on the list for sure.
Never met one you couldn't find something to admire in.
We had the Navy Corpsmen, they did everything we did, they were part of the unit.
All good men, with their hearts in the right place.

But what the hell is the Doc holding?
(Please tell me he didn't pull that wormy looking thing out of somebody, lol.)

Bill, looks similar to a USMC JEST school "whopper chopper" (leaf spring bolo) from the Philippines course many took before deploying across the water to RVN. Had mine up till 82' and loved that blade. Left it in my back yard when moving in 82' and could have cried.
FH

ETA: my bad, missed the creapy crawler in his right hand .......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom