• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Amberg Gewehr 88

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
After a long wait(3 business days), My new to me Gewehr 88 landed on my doorstep this A.M.

I can't wait to slug the bore the and give a good once over before it goes through a mini-kaiserschlacht at the range this weekend.

image.png

Never heard of one before but that's cool!

Educate me, is it black powder?

It's kind of immediate post-black powder I think. It was designed by a group of thinkers on a commission and one of the few German service rifles not to be produced/designed by Mauser at that point, even though they borrowed a lot of ideas from the Mauser rifles.

As far as ammo: originally it had its own designated cartridge called M/88 which was a long round nose fed on a Mannlicher clip type system. Now it's just a plain old 8mm thank goodness.

If I'm not mistaken there are three standard setups; the GEW 88, the GEW 88/05 and the GEW 88/14 which is what I have.

The 88/14 model brought the rifle up to service specs for WWI, at that point it was still the preferred rifle for certain troops from Baden and Prussia.

There is also a super short carbine version called the Karabiner 88, a chinese copy called the Hanyang 88 and a lot if not most of the German rifles eventually ended up in Turkey at some point.

There is a lot to read about them online and I took my time buying one for safety reasons. It's the whole bore diameter, barrels not being changed in some of those model changes, etc.

Nonetheless, my receiver is from 1894 and had both the 05 and 14 change so I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

It's kind of immediate post-black powder I think. It was designed by a group of thinkers on a commission and one of the few German service rifles not to be produced/designed by Mauser at that point, even though they borrowed a lot of ideas from the Mauser rifles.

As far as ammo: originally it had its own designated cartridge called M/88 which was a long round nose fed on a Mannlicher clip type system. Now it's just a plain old 8mm thank goodness.

If I'm not mistaken there are three standard setups; the GEW 88, the GEW 88/05 and the GEW 88/14 which is what I have.

The 88/14 model brought the rifle up to service specs for WWI, at that point it was still the preferred rifle for certain troops from Baden and Prussia.

There is also a super short carbine version called the Karabiner 88, a chinese copy called the Hanyang 88 and a lot if not most of the German rifles eventually ended up in Turkey at some point.

There is a lot to read about them online and I took my time buying one for safety reasons. It's the whole bore diameter, barrels not being changed in some of those model changes, etc.

Nonetheless, my receiver is from 1894 and had both the 05 and 14 change so I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the history lesson!

Reminds me of my Swiss 1896/11. They took the smooth action of the mod 1896 black powder gun and rebarrelled for the new 7.5x55 smokeless cartridge.

Neat piece of history you have there!

Thanks for the history lesson!

Reminds me of my Swiss 1896/11. They took the smooth action of the mod 1896 black powder gun and rebarrelled for the new 7.5x55 smokeless cartridge.

Neat piece of history you have there!

I'm pretty excited about it. I've been itching to get into something new for a while....I'm hoping for a French rifle soon from the same guy I got this from.

Back
Top Bottom