• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo Tumbler ~ Suggestions?

I use pins, dish soap, and lemi shine for wet. I dry them in a harbor freight dehydrator. Then tumbler them in corn cob. It’s labor intensive but damn they look good. I do huge quantities at one time so I don’t have to do it often. I use the Lyman Wet Tumbler.

For dry I use a mix of corn cob and walnut. With a dash of Nu Finish car wax. The walnut knocks the dirt off and the corn cob polishes. I get the corn cob in a giant bag from Grainger. And the walnut from harbor freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you remove the old primers before you clean the cartridge? Seems like when I’ve watched videos of reloaded in action they are working with a clean cartridge but the first step in the press is ejecting the old primer and installing the new. I’m pretty anal and I’ll want my reloads looking brand new

Do you remove the old primers before you clean the cartridge? Seems like when I’ve watched videos of reloaded in action they are working with a clean cartridge but the first step in the press is ejecting the old primer and installing the new. I’m pretty anal and I’ll want my reloads looking brand new

i de-prime my rifle cases then wet clean them. they come out like new insides and out. the primer hole is clean too.

I do. I have a Dillon 650 I process bulk 223 and 300 BO on. Deprime, resize, trim. Wet tumble. Dry. Dry tumble. Like new.

For precision rifle stuff I do the same except process on my 550 without RT1500. When they need trimming I use my World Finest Trimmer.

To much work for pistol brass. But I’ve got it down to a science with rifle brass. My son and I did about 9000 pieces of once fired .223/5.56 this spring over the course of a week or so. It was an assembly line. Then I loaded them all. Have about 10,000 loaded .223/5.56 55gr FMJ rounds ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 9mm that I'm shooting in USPSA, I'm using a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. No pins, just a squeeze of Dawn and a dash of Lemi Shine. Cases come out bright and shiny on the outside an with some carbon still in the inside. They reload and shoot just fine. I'm not depriming beforehand.

I originally dry tumbled with corn-cob media, but the dust and mess got to me. With wet tumbling, all the mess goes cleanly down the drain. Downside is that you need to be sure the cases are 100% dry before reloading them.

For 9mm that I'm shooting in USPSA, I'm using a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. No pins, just a squeeze of Dawn and a dash of Lemi Shine. Cases come out bright and shiny on the outside an with some carbon still in the inside. They reload and shoot just fine. I'm not depriming beforehand.

I originally dry tumbled with corn-cob media, but the dust and mess got to me. With wet tumbling, all the mess goes cleanly down the drain. Downside is that you need to be sure the cases are 100% dry before reloading them.

you putting them in an oven to dry as I’ve seen videos of people doing or just giving them a few days to sit?

So I found these in mud puddles last Saturday & Sunday..
308Muddy.jpg

I de-capped the mud crusted beauties, soaked with hot soapy water, rinsed, and then ran them through this...
Tumbler01.jpg

10lbs of Guntap Stainless Steel Pins, 6L HOT Water, 2 Tbs LA's Finest DollarTree Soap, 1/2tsp LemiShine, 2hrs..
308Mix.jpg

21.34lbs or 822+ Sexy Pieces of .308 Winchester. My Current drill just turned 70hrs. I've wet tumbled 109 times now.. I log everything :) Total setup cost was just @ $100.. I still dry tumble after sizing to remove lube and add a little bit of tarnish resistance via Flitz.. I do a couple passes with a heat gun on a towel to get them dry inside and out. I don't think I want any brass in the same oven my food is prepared in. Hot sunny summer days I've laid them on my deck on cardboard or a towel. Oh and for anyone that doesn't know yet.. The DollarTree Oil Change/catch Pans are the tits! Same ones at Wallyworld for $5..

I recently talked to a fellow Georgian that had never heard of the ODT and he mentioned Stainless pins "gouging" the insides of case necks/mouths affecting accuracy.. But then again he said he owned 3 - .338LM's and was after the utmost accuracy and therefore he Ultrasonic cleaned. I read a lot into wet before I ever got started and haven't ever considered anything else. Hell I just got done tumbling 2k 10mm! To beat my setup I'd have to get a cement mixer and I don't want/nor need another one in my life.. anytime that thing comes out, it's gonna be a $hi!!ty day. Stay shiny my friends :)

Negative, it's the booster.. Best bang for your buck would be Kroger's or Wal-Mart. I got 2 on a BOGO for $7.50 w/tax 3 years or so ago and haven't gone 3/4's of the way through 1! Some people say 1 .45acp case full per gallon.. I use 1/4tsp-1/2tsp depending on water volume and how dirty the brass is.. It can take trial and error to find what's best for you. If you get anything from Amazon, throw on some cheap PH Test strips and find out the PH of your tap water. It can vary depending on whether you're on a well, municipal water, heck even hot or cold.. I wasn't able to source strips locally besides aquarium test strips from Walmart or pet stores, for a whole lot more $$. Amazon add-on cheapest I found.

Back
Top Bottom