• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

An old debate, interesting video

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/-m0satEkGjw

Keep in mind that the shooter in this video is shooting at long distances, and these bullets are from a high quality bullet manufacturer.

Personal Notes:

I have had simular results with an HK USP, and Glocks in 9, 40, and 45 caliber.

I can't get lead to shoot in my Sig226 either (fast twist standard rifling) , unless I keep it under 1000fps.

My USP 40 tore the Ranier Plated Bullets into at least three pieces--three holes in target.

I have good results with the Berry Bullets in 9mm.

My conclusion:

Lead, generally just does not shoot well in fast twist rate or in polygonal type rifled barrels.

There might be some super hard cast lead bullet that will shoot in these guns, but it will likely cost more than FMJ.

The video made the Lone Wolf barrel look pretty good.

Since cast lead has been used quite well for about 100 years...
What is a fast twist? My handguns seem to range from 1:10 to 1:16 and they ALL shoot lead quite well. I shoot lead bullets from 700fps to 2000fps, with bullets over 1600fps generally having a gas check.
All my cast bullets are 11-13 BHN and, since they are over-sized and shot as-cast, seldom lead and have never seemed to care about twist rate. Of the lubes I have tested, LLA works great for me and I can "tumble" lube abut 500 bullets in well under 5 minutes. I have never found a need for todays hard cast (which is now 18-22 BHN vs. 12-15BHN when I started reloading and casting), except maybe for rifle bullets without gas checks.
Lead bullets have two requirements: they must fit the groove diameter of the barrel (generally, they should be AT LEAST 0.001" larger than groove diameter) and the lube must be effective for the velocity. If you don't KNOW the actual groove diameter of your barrel, you may be shooting undersized bullets.
Plated bullets have always been "junk" when I tried them, but even then I make sure to NEVER damage the plating and have never had more than one hole per bullet. Over crimping or insufficient case mouth flare will destroy a thinly plated bullet.

Last edited:

Thanks for the post ... echos my own experience with shooting lead in general, and Glock specifically ...
Purchasing and applying Gas Checks takes away from the attractive price that lead provides.
This plus the fact that I don't cast, I buy them due to the time and mess involved.
I would prefer to simply use lead as a target load and that's why I purchased standard LW barrels for
two of my Glocks. I can attest to it being a wise investment!

My 2 Cents Worth on the subject.

Earl Clark - Cumming, GA

Yep--If I buy a glock, I buy a barrel. I have had KKM, Storm Lake, and Lone Wolf. They have all been equally accurate.

I have had trouble finding good lead bullets locally. I favor the Precision, or Bayou Bullets.

Precision are swagged and will not hold up in Glock barrels. The Bayou's are hard cast, but I have not tried them in a factory Glock barrel.

Back
Top Bottom