• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Powder

madcow

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
97   0
Reaction score
Bought a bunch of older discontinued powder from a gentleman, anyone familiar or have load data on what calibers they were used with before. They were properly stored and none of the canisters have been opened.

Powder.JPG

Well, aside from the age, IMR 4198 and 3031 are still offered. IMR 4320 was (I think) discontinued relatively recently and loading data for it is still available in the hodgdonreloading.com database.

4759 now seems to be SR4759 (SR=Sporting Rifle) but I can't find reliable confirmation on that. I'm reluctant to even suggest that you could look at SR4759 on hodgdonreloading.com.

Pistol 5 was discontued a long while ago (maybe 1940s?), so you might have trouble finding loadings for that in modern reloading manuals.

Given the age though, I'd be conservative when doing your first test loads. Even nowadays, there can be a lot of variation in powders across the same spec powder. Back in the days when that powder was manufactured, there may have been more variation.

On the other hand, if all of the powders are of comparable age, you're looking at products that are possibly over 80 years old. Even if you open them up and they don't smell like they've degraded, they may well have. Caution - even extreme caution - is advised.

I just read an interesting article about old powder spontaneously combusting due to degradation causing it to become unstable. I'd love to have those DuPont cans for display shelf. Empty of course.

I just read an interesting article about old powder spontaneously combusting due to degradation causing it to become unstable. I'd love to have those DuPont cans for display shelf. Empty of course.
I also read that artical....it mentioned that the "old" powders had been recently in a car, and left there for a few days, with day time temps exceeding 90, I believe that, more than likely, caused the problem, and not the age of the powder

I also read that artical....it mentioned that the "old" powders had been recently in a car, and left there for a few days, with day time temps exceeding 90, I believe that, more than likely, caused the problem, and not the age of the powder

I mean, I'm part Scots, so I really know the value of a penny saved here and there, but I'd be really cautious.

Well, aside from the age, IMR 4198 and 3031 are still offered. IMR 4320 was (I think) discontinued relatively recently and loading data for it is still available in the hodgdonreloading.com database.

4759 now seems to be SR4759 (SR=Sporting Rifle) but I can't find reliable confirmation on that. I'm reluctant to even suggest that you could look at SR4759 on hodgdonreloading.com.

Pistol 5 was discontued a long while ago (maybe 1940s?), so you might have trouble finding loadings for that in modern reloading manuals.

Given the age though, I'd be conservative when doing your first test loads. Even nowadays, there can be a lot of variation in powders across the same spec powder. Back in the days when that powder was manufactured, there may have been more variation.

On the other hand, if all of the powders are of comparable age, you're looking at products that are possibly over 80 years old. Even if you open them up and they don't smell like they've degraded, they may well have. Caution - even extreme caution - is advised.
I appreciate all the info. If I use the powder, will definitely work my loads up with a chrono.

Nothing wrong with that powder most likely. 3031 is great for .223 Rem, 8mm Mauser, 30-30 Win, and a host of other 30 cal rifle cartridges.

4759 is "magic juju" for cast rifle bullets in .30 cal and larger bores, 45-70, etc.

4198 is just a good powder for modern and antique rifle cartridges.

No 5 and 4320 I've never loaded or used so I can't speak to those.

Back
Top Bottom