And for my NEXT 1911 trick...

Yeah, I thought that was the same grip. Thanks for the link, Im going to bookmark it. If I ever build a 2011, I think that's the frame Id like to use. Honestly, 8 weeks isn't that bad. A basic Caspian frame/ slide set is 10 weeks! That's why the last build I did I just used a frame and slide from different manufacturers that were in stock at Brownells.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you on that slide, but when its done, a 6" bull barrel 9mm will be super light recoiling. Ton of fun to shoot suppressed.

Oh that's what it was LAST year, the waits are much longer now. Not sure as I haven't checked recently, but it's up in the months range.

On the 6", I would LOVE to shoot it suppressed, but there's not anybody I could find that makes a 6"+ barrel for a 9mm 1911 that would allow me to thread it. That combo appears to be made of unobtainium. I called and checked with everybody I could find. KKM, Kart, Clark, Barsto, Nowlin, STI, Fusion, and a BUNCH of others.

I've been tied up with work and a couple other projects lately, got a picture of a little something that's been at the smith for a while. Not completely done, but getting closer!

This is a 6" 9mm full rail on a stainless Phoenix trinity grip and frame. Caspian slide, and STI bull barrel.

Last edited:
Wow, in 9mm too!

How thick is that grip frame vs a standard 1911 frame?

I don't have one here to measure, but it's something like .3" I think. I have short hands so I find larger grips difficult. Aside from the extended slide stop and mag release I find the stock configuration pretty manageable. You have to remember this modular frame doesn't have the added space of traditional grip panels.

If you are familiar with the para or ria doublestacks this is comparable if not slightly thinner.

I've been tied up with work and a couple other projects lately, got a picture of a little something that's been at the smith for a while. Not completely done, but getting closer!

This is a 6" 9mm full rail on a stainless Phoenix trinity grip and frame. Caspian slide, and STI bull barrel.

I bet she'll shoot like a dream!

Had a chance to stop by and visit with my Longslide project yesterday. Happy to see some progress. Here's a comparison between the 5" (with threaded barrel) and the 6" (which will have a bull barrel).

Also note the difference between the frames. The one on the bottom is a standard 2011 long dust cover with a tac-rail milled into it. The new one is a frame designed with the tac-rail already on it.

If the planets align, I'll be picking this up on Tuesday.

I know that I've gotten a little sidetracked with this thread lately, but I had a chance to have some fun this week. I didn't think y'all would mind.

It's back at the shop now, as there were some minor tuning issues, but for the most part very happy with it. The finish on most of the lower grip/frame parts is bead-blasted stainless. After I live with it a while I may put a bit more shine to it, or maybe some cerakote, not sure yet.

This is the second target I ran on the new gun. 21 feet, doing a simple double-tap drill, as fast as I could bring the sights on-target. It's a heavy gun, but it just soaks up recoil, and runs SMOOOOOOTH.

Back
Top Bottom