• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Animal identification request

338 Win Mag will kill everthang big enough to die over there except for the big 5 which are mostly now protected anyways....

338 Lapua would be interesting

RSAKudu.jpgYou can kill kudu and most other African plains game with a 30-06.

Of course, going on safari is an excellent reason to justify to mama that you need a new rifle!

But in all seriousness, a 270, 30-06, 7x57, or 308 all are perfectly fine for plains game up to eland.

For areas where longer shots are likely, a 300 Win Mag would work just fine.

The photo above is a kudu I shot with an old push-feed, post '64 off the shelf Model 70.

The keys to success on African game are premium bullets and shot placement. The scope I used was more expensive than the rifle.

View attachment 224894You can kill kudu and most other African plains game with a 30-06.

Of course, going on safari is an excellent reason to justify to mama that you need a new rifle!

But in all seriousness, a 270, 30-06, 7x57, or 308 all are perfectly fine for plains game up to eland.

For areas where longer shots are likely, a 300 Win Mag would work just fine.

The photo above is a kudu I shot with an old push-feed, post '64 off the shelf Model 70.

The keys to success on African game are premium bullets and shot placement. The scope I used was more expensive than the rifle.

Awesome stuff right here! Nice pic. So im guessing they do a mount there and ship it to you back in the states when its finished?

Awesome stuff right here! Nice pic. So im guessing they do a mount there and ship it to you back in the states when its finished?

Well, you can do it either way. The taxidermy is cheaper in Africa, but the shipping costs negate the savings, and if something goes south, what are you gonna do?

Personally, I'd have all my African trophies sent back to Georgia (as I've done) to Darrell McMicken in Cartersville, a true expert in African mounts.

BTW, an African safari is less expensive than you would think, and a great trip for wives and kids--very safe and a ton of fun. If you want details, email me at dpmunn@yahoo.com & I'll be glad to share my thoughts with you.

Go see Darrell's personal trophy room, and you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom