• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Question - Case Failure on .303 British

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
I recently bought a Lee Enfield, and via another recent purchase, picked up some ammo for it. Only a handful of rounds, but I took them down to the range to do a basic function check and christen the rifle. I'd had the gun checked over for headspace by a gunsmith who gave me the thumbs-up. Bolt closed into battery just as I'd expected, and everything looked fine.

So, out on the range, fired a few rounds and inspected the brass. Not all of the cases were split, but most had. This is what one of them looked like - some were split all the way up to the neck, but they all looked as though there was that kind of 'burn through' down at the shoulder, which I guess might be where the split started.

303-British.jpg

This brass has a South African 1943 headstamp.

Obviously, not going to be able to reload this (doubly-so since it was Berdan-primed), but I wondered if anyone had any observations or suggestions about why this might have happened to maybe 16 out of 20 rounds fired.

I found the Enfields sometimes have a really loose chambers. You get a lot of stretch when firing brass and if you full length resize them, the cases wear out quickly from all the working. If you reload, bump the shoulder back just a tick past where the bolt will close easily on the brass to reduce working.

This may have been a combination of bad brass and a loose chamber letting it stretch more causing/amplifying the failure.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom