• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

any beekeepers on here?

mickbear

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
pulled frames for extracting honey yesterday and had my best year in all the 8 years i'v had honey bees.i'v got 10 hives and finished up with 9.5 gallons.i hope the late summer pull is just as good.

Interesting hobby/work.
Something I've wanted to try. Do you use the conventional frames; what do you think about the vertical ones that hang from the top?
How difficult is it to start?

i us the typical langstroth hives,8 frame with italian bees.i'v never delt with any top bar hives.there are more folks using them than used to .my issue with them is when starting a colonie of bees. with the typical wax foundation frames the bees have a foundation to start on with the top bar they dont.i dont know if that matters that much because in the wild they dont have anything to start with.so maybe it doesnt.
as far as getting started,.its not hard.i spent one winter reading everything i could on the internet and in books (the best one is beekeeping for dummies beleive it or not).it would have been better to have had someone to help me along but i'm one of those "do it all by myself guys". i down loaded a set of plans from beesource.com of the hive parts and built them my self .ordered my frames and foundation from Rossman then ordered my bees from them also and i was on my way.i didn't pull any honey from them the first year just to let them keep as strong as possible.if you get interested just shoot me an email and i'll be glad to help out.

Italian bees, were they Berettas?

Sounds like you are doing well with it,I appreciate the info and the offer to help. If I go ahead I'd definitely take you up on that.

i do have some annoying neighbors with allegeries.... perhaps this is a hobby I should look into.. until they move out at least.

there's a guy in Cherokee county that sales local honey , Ross Berry Farm and Apiaries , www.rossberryfarms.com he has honey, honey bees,beekeeper supplies ,bees wax candles, bee removal and lectures , great guy to talk with
i'v heard nothing but good things about him.i wish i would have had someone like him close by when i was starting out.

Back
Top Bottom