Any home wiring experts on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I currently have two on/off switches that are located on two walls. Both control the ceiling fan with light kit in the middle of the room.

We want to install track lighting with a dimmer switch.

Attached is a very basic dwg of the wiring. How do I add the dimmer switch into this wiring and have it all work when I am done?

LIVING ROOM FAN AND LGTS.png

I would just cut in a new dimmer switch and pigtail off the main 14/2 coming in to power the new switch. That way you can have a independent switch just for the track lighting. Would that work for you? You could do it at both current switches. Would make things alot simpler.

You want a 3-way dimmer switch since there are two wall outlets that control the same light/fan. And you only need to use one of the power wires and cap off the other since you won't have both a light and a fan.

BTW, I'm no wiring expert but I've replaced/installed countless fixtures over the years and have picked up a lot. This seems very basic, which is the only reason I would even consider giving electrical advice!

Hire a professional ! You did not give enough information for anyone to be able to give you good advice ! This from someone with 35 years of residential / heavy commercial experience !

You'll need a 3 way dimmer and a 3 switch. You'll only be able to dim from one location. Swap the two switches out wire for wire otherwise you'll get your travelers crossed up.

You will need both the hot and neutral feeds from the electrical panel to make the track lights work , from his drawing it appears the only location they are available to pig tail off of would be the ceiling box where the fan / light kit is installed !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom