• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any long range AR's out there?

I'm of the mindset that I want to build a long range AR set up...Not sure I'm capable of long range accuracy, but hey, I'm looking into the idea. Thinking in the 500 to 600 yard range. Any tips, recommendations, or warnings I can get will be appreciated. Scopes? Ammo? good quality lower? Thanks guys....
I have a 20” stainless match barrel I will sell off this beauty. 1/7 twist heavy barrel. Good for 600 yards easy. $140.00 or the complete Aero Precision upper with Magpul handguard less BCG. $425.00. (The photo was made before the muzzle brake was clocked.)

Attachments

• A2D5B338-C58F-4247-AEF8-E0E64A022E17.jpeg
    A2D5B338-C58F-4247-AEF8-E0E64A022E17.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2610EE67-8146-46BB-A8A8-DA677D03B22C.jpeg
    2610EE67-8146-46BB-A8A8-DA677D03B22C.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
I have a 20” stainless match barrel I will sell off this beauty. 1/7 twist heavy barrel. Good for 600 yards easy. $140.00 or the complete Aero Precision upper with Magpul handguard less BCG. $425.00. (The photo was made before the muzzle brake was clocked.)
Not looking for any upper parts right now, Just scope and lower suggestions. But thank you....

FRD.

Get yourself some 6.5 creedmoor rifle. (That’s what I am working on it right now, just need the scope....)

As per some former Special Forces snipers, you can get a spot on shot even at 1200 yards.
Watch these videos:

A lot of people will tell you that you need all this fancy stuff, you don't. It all depends on what you wanna do at 600 yards, shoot man size steel or punch the smallest hole possible. If you wanna shoot steel most ARs with an optic can do that without issue. If you wanna punch a tiny hole then that's a different story. My run and gun set up literally cost me less that 500 to build + optic. The gun has nothing fancy in it beyond a match trigger. I don't shoot fancy ammo as it shoots wolf gold very well. The most important thing is time behind the rifle.

A lot of people will tell you that you need all this fancy stuff, you don't. It all depends on what you wanna do at 600 yards, shoot man size steel or punch the smallest hole possible. If you wanna shoot steel most ARs with an optic can do that without issue. If you wanna punch a tiny hole then that's a different story. My run and gun set up literally cost me less that 500 to build + optic. The gun has nothing fancy in it beyond a match trigger. I don't shoot fancy ammo as it shoots wolf gold very well. The most important thing is time behind the rifle.
Time behind the rifle...That's where I'm committed. I used to love to shoot, and was decent at it back in the day...Looking forward to getting back into it...

I have an S&W MP that I used as a donor rifle. It has a 20 inch, shilen select match, SS, 1:8, heavy contour, rifle length gas tube, custom brake. I had a smith who specializes in custom long range builds. It shoots .75 MOA consistently for 5 shots with the 75 grain hornady match. I have taken it as far as 750 yards with pretty consistent hits on 10 inch plates. It gets pretty squirrelly past 750 though. Its probably my shooting ability.

Whats your budget for scope? what features are you looking for? I use Mil/FFP/illum. I had a SWFA on this rifle, but moving over to either a swampfox 1-10 or bushnell LRTSi.

I shot a 245 in bootcamp, series high was 246 that day, bummer..... 200, 300, and 500 yards open sights...That was 35 years ago. I'll post pics, but it's going to be a SLOW build...I hadn't even thought about a cheek riser, good info GGLB.

geezer geezer That's some good shooting! That's some very good shooting! Not many people shoot into the 240's ever.
Sounds like we've covered some of the same ground, PI for sure. I was in 75-82.

Anybody that shoots a 245 ever is a hell of a shooter!. You have to have an excellent off hand to get there.
I almost maxed the range at KMCAS, until I got to the 500. I screwed up my dope when moving to the 500 and shot a 4. I couldn't believe it, so instead of making a dope change, I shot another 4 into the spotter. Never do that, that's just dumb, lol.) :wacko:
I had a great job, I ran the sound cart and called fire for 11 months on that range, very pretty range. Weird wind, because it was in half a volcano crater, but after running that range for several months I had the flags figured out.

As far as what they shoot nowadays. I have a nephew in for about 8 years, presently in Warrant Officer school in Quantico. When I went to his graduation and asked him about qualification, it was something different. They did do some shooting at distance, but also had to do some close quarter stuff as part of qualification.

Nowadays, I shoot an Armalite M15 National Match with a Leupold Mark AR BDC 3x9 scope with a BDC scope cap made for Frontier 5.56 75gr BTHP match ammo. It blows my mind how much more accurate this gun is than anything the Marine Corps ever gave me. The gun will hold a 2.5" group at 600 yards. The scope is just $300-$350 and is perfect for the rifle, I'd buy another in half a heart beat and would recommend it to anyone. I understand now, they give you a 55gr cap and a freebie cap for any round you want. Just give them the specifics.

Edited to add - That gun is a 1 in 7 twist, shoots like any crappy AR with 55gr, but really shines with the 75gr.

Back
Top Bottom