• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any owner operators want to give lessons ?

roundhouse

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
16   0
Reaction score
My son is working full time at a business in Cobb county that builds fire trucks and utility trucks

Has been attending trade school at night and recently graduated as a certified welder

The biz he is working for needs additional people with CDLs to deliver the finished trucks

I have a CDL with all the endorsements except haz Mat which i let expire

I got mine in the 80s at Carroll tech

There are no state tech/trade schools that have night / weekend classes
A couple of private ones that have night & weekend classes but not gonna pay $3800 for a school that’s not even a third party tester
So after the money and time and still have to take the skills test at the dmv

He daily drives a manual trans 76 K-10 and can shift it without using the clutch

I think I can teach him to pass the pre trip exam
He needs some trailer backing practice
And a rig to take the skills test in

Most of their trucks the company he works for are straight trucks with automatic transmissions and air brakes
That CDL seems pretty easy to get
I can Probably rent a large box truck to take the test in

I’ve located places in other states that rent trucks for the road test and third party testers

Haven’t found any in Georgia

I was looking at getting my Class A, a while back and decided to skip that as I only need a B for work. Under the new rules he would need to take the test in a similar type vehicle and that is what he would be restricted to. Meaning if he uses a Class A with a flatbed then that is what he would be restricted to in that class. Same applies for automatic and manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at getting my Class A, a while back and decided to skip that as I only need a B for work. Under the new rules he would need to take the test in a similar type vehicle and that is what he would be restricted to. Meaning if he uses a Class A with a flatbed then that is what he would be restricted to in that class. Same applies for automatic and manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I read

All the trucks they build are automatic with air brakes
No fifth wheel

So that should be an easy test
I’ve coached several people for taking the bus driver test , and took em to the dmv in our bus
Teaching em how to drive the bus was easier than teaching em how to pass the pre trip test

But he’s wanting to get the unlimited license

I used to teach people get CDL.

Pre-trip is almost the hardest part. Most people don't take it serious and think they will pass it. So they fail.
With driving is easier. if you fail one part of the driving they will let you keep taking test. With pre-trip, no.

straight trucks will be class B. no matter if it got the air system. DOT doesn't care.

You can PM if oyu need more info.

Two legal considerations:

Without a CDL already, where could a trainee practice driving a heavy truck?
In a private parking lot only, not on the road! (And who has a big enough parking lot, and where you can legally and safely set up rows of traffic cones or plastic barrels to practice backing, parallel parking, etc?)

Unless the trainee has a "CDL learner's permit."
https://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/apply-cdl.php

Now, with a CDL learner's permit in hand, the State would be OK with the kid driving, supervised, on public streets. But what would the truck owner's insurance company say? Would they cover any accident that might result? Who are the authorized drivers of that vehicle under its liability policy?

I don't know if any truck rental company would rent an individual an 18-wheeled truck and trailer, not for a day, and not for a week. I don't think they'd rent one to a private person who wasn't serving as an agent for some trucking company, no matter what purpose that mature adult CDL driver had in mind for the rig. I really doubt they'd rent one to a man who wants to use it to give his son truck driving lessons. Even if that were done "legally." Truck rental outfits have their own insurance carriers to deal with, too.

Roundhouse, does your son like working for that company that builds trucks?
Won't he make more money as a welder than as a truck driver?
Truckers for small companies doing local or regional delivery only make something like $17 an hour, or maybe 40 cents per mile driven (and no pay if the wheels aren't turning!).
Don't welders make more like $25/ hour, and with steady hours, regardless of weather or the season?

Now, if he wants a Class A- air brakes- CDL to drive big rigs full of freight across the country, then he can earn more like $70,000 a year with a big company, BUT then his welding education would be pretty much wasted, and his quality of life would be bad after the novelty of seeing the country wears off and there isn't anything new or interesting about driving on any of the major highways in the lower 48 states.

If he wants a career in welding, I suggest you just rent him a box truck, a straight body truck, that requires a CDL, even one without air brakes and with an automatic transmission, and let him get that kind of CDL now, because that's the CDL that would make him most versatile and useful to his employer. If I were his boss and I found out he got an unlimited Class A with airbrakes, double trailers, and haz-mat, I'd expect the kid was dissatisfied with his job and would soon be quitting in favor of driving over-the-road.

Roundhouse, does your son like working for that company that builds trucks?
Won't he make more money as a welder than as a truck driver?
Truckers for small companies doing local or regional delivery only make something like $17 an hour, or maybe 40 cents per mile driven (and no pay if the wheels aren't turning!).
Don't welders make more like $25/ hour, and with steady hours, regardless of weather or the season?

Now, if he wants a Class A- air brakes- CDL to drive big rigs full of freight across the country, then he can earn more like $70,000 a year with a big company, BUT then his welding education would be pretty much wasted, and his quality of life would be bad after the novelty of seeing the country wears off and there isn't anything new or interesting about driving on any of the major highways in the lower 48 states.

If he wants a career in welding, I suggest you just rent him a box truck, a straight body truck, that requires a CDL, even one without air brakes and with an automatic transmission, and let him get that kind of CDL now, because that's the CDL that would make him most versatile and useful to his employer. If I were his boss and I found out he got an unlimited Class A with airbrakes, double trailers, and haz-mat, I'd expect the kid was dissatisfied with his job and would soon be quitting in favor of driving over-the-road.

He likes his job , he got several certifications , mostly welding aluminum , and I think stainless

He’s currently earning $12 / hr
Been with the company over six months still as a temp

When he started they said he’d be converted from temp to perm with a nice raise after three months
I don’t think they will pay him much more than that, he’s the only person there that’s not on parole / probation

Some of their employees drive an hour or 90 minutes to earn $10/hr

I actually think it’s a good thing that the owners are willing to hire people that have made mistakes in the past and learned their lesson and are no longer doing things that could get them in trouble with the law

Someone has to give these people a second chance

But it makes the company not want to pay market wages since most of the employees have to get and keep a job as a condition of their release

I told my son to keep his head down and get as much experience as he can and keep an eye out for a better paying opportunity

Back
Top Bottom