• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any professional flooring guys on here?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Id like to pay someone to survey my subfloor and see if my approach is right on prepping for LVP. Ive got a couple of ideas Id like to run by a pro and make sure Ive got my mind right. I already have the flooring on site. Just a couple of last minute concerns I want to address. So, are there any flooring guys on the southside of town? I will pay you cash for your time and your knowledge.

Assuming this is a big flat area and you are talking about a wood framed floor structure.
Also assuming you are talking about the laminated vinyl planks such as Lifeproof sold at the depot.

If your floor vibrates when you walk on it, you have a whole different ball game.

Rent a rotating head laser. Set benchmarks on the walls. Use a caulk line to pop a grid on the floor, both ways. Using a level rod or vertical reading tape measure, record the readings at each grid intersect. Check yourself with a four foot hand level and a 1/2" steel ball bearing. If you have big dips or valleys (3/4 to 1") you will need to use a leveling compound. I have used Henry products from the depot with success.

Check your findings with the product manufacturers specs for subfloor flatness and levelness. Typical specs are 1/8" max in 10 ft.

This help?

Assuming this is a big flat area and you are talking about a wood framed floor structure.
Also assuming you are talking about the laminated vinyl planks such as Lifeproof sold at the depot.

If your floor vibrates when you walk on it, you have a whole different ball game.

Rent a rotating head laser. Set benchmarks on the walls. Use a caulk line to pop a grid on the floor, both ways. Using a level rod or vertical reading tape measure, record the readings at each grid intersect. Check yourself with a four foot hand level and a 1/2" steel ball bearing. If you have big dips or valleys (3/4 to 1") you will need to use a leveling compound. I have used Henry products from the depot with success.

Check your findings with the product manufacturers specs for subfloor flatness and levelness. Typical specs are 1/8" max in 10 ft.

This help?
Im good with all that. Been checking with a 4’ level. Id like another set of eyes on it though. Its 2200 sq ft and I dont want to do it twice.

Not a flooring expert, but a DIY er for 50 years. Installed lpv 19 years ago in about 1000 sq ft and 800 more in maybe 8 years ago. All OK,

However I found another problem in bathrooms in front of lavatory, high traffic, and heard little noise, pulled up and sub floor is 'presswood' sawdust glued, not OSB, 47 years old. Was not sufficently stable so new nails or screws would fix problem, so took skill saw and removed it and replaced with plywood. Old 'presswood' no good after maybe 45 years.

Back
Top Bottom