• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any reason I shouldn't give the Ruger American .45 a go?

ocean_glocker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
140   0
Reaction score
So the misses has given the green light to get a full size .45 handgun for us to carry when we are fishing and hiking, ect. We where at the grocery store yesterday (be jealous) and I took her buy the gun counter in sporting goods to compare the Glock 21 gen 4 vs a 1911, the SR1911 in this case. She didn't like the overall thickness of the Glock, and she kinda liked the 1911, but wasn't convinced. Then she spotted the Ruger American .45... and I was really surprised that we each really liked the feel of the pistol. It's ambi and I'm a lefty, its not as thick as the G21 but holds more rounds than the 1911 and it was priced real nice... So naturally I went home and started looking at Youtube vids, not finding terribly much on the .45 specifically.

So I figured I was ask the ODT collective with thier experience with the Ruger American .45

Ruger is a solid company and stands behind their stuff.

I've fondled one but haven't shot it. Most everything I've read said good things.

Hopefully someone who owns one will stop by.

We have one. Shoots fine, good DA pistol, wife likes it because she is a lefty and all she has to do is pull the trigger - but I prefer my 1911 :)

If it is like the 9mm version that I played with, the trigger is horrendous. But if she likes it and shoots it well, no real reason to keep looking around.
The one I finger banged felt fine, it had a longer reset, but the break was clean... i dunno?
Get a G30S
We are looking for a full size, concealability is not an issue, we want capacity and stopping power...

The one I finger banged felt fine, it had a longer reset, but the break was clean... i dunno?

We are looking for a full size, concealability is not an issue, we want capacity and stopping power...

If you and she like it, go for it. I have not heard any reliability issues, but it is a baby in the gun world.

Back
Top Bottom