• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any tricks to measure flake gunpowder?

Cmax Arms

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Are there any tricks to measure out the flake type smokeless gun powder? I am using a tube type dispenser, and the consistency with flake powder is not there....How do you do it without measuring each load on a scale? It takes too long for pistol rounds. I like to be exact.

What powder measure are you using?
I use a Lyman 55 and it does a good job.
I also use a Electric RCBS combo unit also with good results.

It is a Pacific, it came with my 007 press which was in a kit. It looks just like a Hornady, Hornady bought out Pacific and kept most of the designs. I had let my friend use it. he said it was the best he has ever seen, .....maybe I am being alittle over the top on this( I am a Noob on reloading), I just want to be accurate....what is a acceptable amount of variance on the dispensers?:cool:

How big is your variance? Most dispensers are within .1 grain.

I usually thump or tap the powder dispenser between each load drop.

I've used several...the RCBS Uniflow works great.... As far as an on press type I've used the Lee Auto Disc, with a bar instead of the discs. Works perfectly...reliable and consistent.

A dryer sheet to wipe down the powder system. Static is the bane of attempting flake powder charges. Little bastids love static and won't let go. Jacks up light loads most not so much larger doses.

Still I avoid flake type powders if given a choice. A ball or short stick powder meters so much more uniformly.

A dryer sheet to wipe down the powder system. Static is the bane of attempting flake powder charges. Little bastids love static and won't let go. Jacks up light loads most not so much larger doses.

Still I avoid flake type powders if given a choice. A ball or short stick powder meters so much more uniformly.

Do you use a new or used dryer sheet to wipe it down? I have been using a used one then attaching it to the outside of the tube with rubber bands...

Thanks for your response....Cmax:cool:

Treat each flake with respect for its individuality and don't expect it to conform to your antiquated moralistic meanie caveman thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom