• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else watching Lawmen:Bass Reeves?

Interesting historical figure. Bass Reeves son killed his wife in a drunken rage. The warrant came in and the other US Marshall’s wanted no part in serving it. Reeves took it and brought in his son. Also the original creator (tindle or tringle) of the Lone Ranger series was into western history. Rumor has it he based the character off of Reeves

Watched the first two episodes last night. Didn't realize it was an in progress series, I'll go back and watch it when the entire series is out. I'll forget week to week, season to season and have to rewatch the whole thing every week anyway.

Watched the first episode last weekend. M'eh.

Taylor Sheridan sometimes shows a tendency to compress too much story into too little space, turning just about every character into a simple caricature. In the currently very hip-and-hyped "white man bad, black man good, red man good" narrative, he shows us every single 1860s stereotype in about 30 minutes. Imagine "Roots" being a half-hour TV special. And throw in a Trail of Tears story to seal the deal.

In fairness, he doesn't always do this. Yellowstone and it's spinoffs generally do more nuanced character development, as did Mayor of Kingstown.

I'll give it another episode or two before I give up on it.

Back
Top Bottom