• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody tried Hornody 250GR XTP for 45ACP?

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
I made the mistake and bought these 250GR projectiles when I meant to pick up the 230GR....anyhow too late now as I went as far as opening the box before I realized what I did. I've either gotta trade them or try make use of them. These are designed for 45LC and are .452.

Looking on the web, some various boards have folks that have used them successfully. Since they are not designed for 45ACP, finding load data is kinda impossible. At least I haven't been able to find anything using either of the powders I currently have (Unique and Bullseye).

Anybody tried this? If I give it a go, should I use the 230GR XTP data and start at the MIN?

Thanks!

A couple of issues that may be a problem. First, you probably can't drive them fast enough to expand. Second, they'll extend farther into the ACP case when seated deep enough to feed, causing pressures to rise exponentially.

NO! never use load data for one caliber or projectile for another, lots and lots of things come into play, the length of the projectile (bearing surface) the reduction in case capacity ( as mentioned above) , different materials, different diameters in the same caliber, not a good idea at all.
as for the other question it was hit on some by old school and I would add to that the heavier round is not going to produce any good performance, its not going to be fast enough to expand as designed, it will have a lot less muzzle energy, that will likely increase penetration, if you try to push it to a performance level then you likely will end up being able to sale a few gun parts to pay for the hand/face operations.
don't do this, trade the projectiles, sale them or just put them on a shelf to remind you to check purchases better.

Back
Top Bottom