Anyone carry full size 1911?

Al Capone

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
I was thinking there are probably some of you guys that carry a full size 1911 and was wondering what type/kind of holsters you use? Pics would be great also :)

I carry a full size pistol everyday. Either an old Kimber Custom II or a CZ Phantom. I use a Kydex holster and mag carrier that I made, riding on a Jones Tactical Everyday Belt.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_016_3.jpg

I don't currently, but have several times in a Comptac Minotaur MTAC. With a decent belt it is not bad at all. I find the longer slide actually helps keeps things stable

I carry a full size pistol everyday. Either an old Kimber Custom II or a CZ Phantom. I use a Kydex holster and mag carrier that I made, riding on a Jones Tactical Everyday Belt.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_016_3.jpg

Sweet setup! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't currently, but have several times in a Comptac Minotaur MTAC. With a decent belt it is not bad at all. I find the longer slide actually helps keeps things stable

Any suggestions on a good belt that can support the weight good?

i45.tinypic.com_rk0hhe.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_6p1951.jpg

This old suede holster is not one I would recommend but as a young newly married man it fit the budget back in the early 80's. It has no safety protection and after disarming more than once finding the safety off, I changed to a different gun. I could have spent more money on a better holster and been fine though.

Fast forward to the millennium and I picked up several other .45/1911 holsters that are so much better. There are so many makers now that to say one is much better than another is often a challenge. The basic 1911 platform while being a large pistol is rather narrow due to being a single stack. It is not real difficult to conceal inside the waist of pants, just to the rear hip area for me. A slightly loose shirt is all that is required.

i45.tinypic.com_35c555j.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_2w7n24y.jpg

This Ryan Grizzle holster is well constructed, good stitching, nice boning, strong snaps and thick extra leather guard to prevent from knocking the safety off (condition one-cocked and locked). It is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. It's a good holster.

i49.tinypic.com_300em1i.jpg

i50.tinypic.com_33bg5fq.jpg

This other holster is decent too a bit bigger (more pancake style) and it's a good holster too that has the features as the Grizzle holster but also has a tension adjustment (needed? I don't know). The snap straps are separated farther apart and distributes the weight a bit more but is larger because of that.

I will occasionally carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked but my go to carry is my single stack compact 9mm (Kahr CW9) with a spare mag in a belt clip. Really hard to get more gun in a smaller package for what it is.

i50.tinypic.com_292b8m0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom