• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone collect Civil War Tobacco Tokens (White Mule) ?

Rob62

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
I got this in a trade along with some foreign coins that I was really interested in. And I am having a hard time IDing exactly what it is. Its supposed to be a "Tobacco Token".

I am slightly familiar with how token's were used during the Civil War (The War of Northern aggression for you die hard Southerners ;) )

Any thoughts as to exactly what it is ? I tried Google but that proved to be no help.

Regards,
Rob

i110.photobucket.com_albums_n103_rhummer_Trades_20and_20Deals_WhiteMuleTobaccotoken.jpg

Civil war tokens where generally like tokens of today--usually these were coins of some type like an arcade token today.
What you appear to have is a 1900s White Mule Lithograph Tin Tobacco Tag Antique Metal Collectible.
"Tobacco manufacturers made thousands of different kinds of these tags around the turn of the century to brand their products. They went into plugs of pressed chewing tobacco and they were traded for premiums, much like S&H green stamps in the 1950s. These are highly collectible and fun to use for little shrines or for pendant making!"

These are selling on e-bay for $3.50 'Buy Now'

Back
Top Bottom