• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone do your own pest control?

BamaFan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
340   0
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to purchase effective pest control chemicals and do a monthly/quarterly spray or if the really effective stuff is reserved for licensed professionals. I have had a contract but it just seems like the price is getting ridiculous.

Follow up question would be does it really save any money or is it a situation where the chemicals will cost me as much as the service, given that they are buying barrels and I'd be buying much smaller quantities?

My understanding is the do it yourself pest control places sell the same stuff my bug lady uses. I was doing my own mosquito control with chemicals and a fogger she recommended and I bought from one of those places. I got great results. I let her do it now for convenience. She also has the Mac daddy back pack blower/fogger that works better than my little electric one. That thing dogs and spreads granules at the same time.

I used to spray the entire yard with liquid Sevin, which worked pretty good, but got too much for me. Now I pay Arrow to do pest control and skeeters. Have a huge area.

I have a 15 gal tank with pump, and a 50' hose. I have a 12 volt deep cycle battery mounted in the yard cart as well. I can spray 100' before moving the cart.
I'll spray about 25 gallons of mix. under the house, all around the house, including the shrubs, all out buildings, and the hedges around the parameter of the yard.
I also borrow a super Sthil backpack fogger from a friend. I'll fog the underside of the house hedges and outbuildings.

I have found that the best time to fog is in the heat of the day, when the mosquitoes are hiding in the bushes.

I usually get insecticide from Lowes, and change up depending upon the active ingredients.

Talstar P has worked great for me for several years. I go too long and start seeing bugs, spray perimeter and I don’t see any for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom