• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Else Addicted To Jeeps?

the new engine sucks, unless it is the diesel
I don't understand why they just don't put a small hemi in it. I mean those engines are super light and they're much more efficient than the old inline six cylinder and would get better gas mileage I know that for a fact. Plus the torque benefit would be a serious advantage when going off-road. I never understood why they didn't do that. When the hemi was first produced it was the cheapest, most powerful engine per cubic inch and most efficient engine that the Chrysler corporation had ever put out.

I mean something like a 273 cubic inch hemi. And homage to the old Street beast the 273 super commando. That engine was nicknamed " The terror of the highways ". A high revving, solid lifter cam, four barrel engine that just made gobs of power.

In 1993 I worked for Marietta Jeep eagle and sold a ton of those Jeeps. They had one I think it was called the J package ( I believe but don't quote me on that because it's been a long time since then ) that had no rear seats or carpet and was just a 4 cylinder with the manual transmission. I had to drive one of those things all the way to Augusta and I swore I would never own one after that trip. I was sweating bullets and that thing beat me to death. The noise the top made on the trip was just so aggravating and I just never could figure out the appeal of those things. Obviously they're meant for the top to be off and I think they would be a fun novelty but I wouldn't want to own one. Unless it was one of those old hardtop Sahara's are Rubicon or something of that nature. Until they start putting a V8 in them I won't even consider it.
You know they did make that in a v8. I think last model year was @ 81. Been a long time since I've seen one on the road. They're very impressive. A good friend of mine had a Jeep and it drove really nice. Course it had its Jeep problems

I don't understand why they just don't put a small hemi in it. I mean those engines are super light and they're much more efficient than the old inline six cylinder and would get better gas mileage I know that for a fact. Plus the torque benefit would be a serious advantage when going off-road. I never understood why they didn't do that. When the hemi was first produced it was the cheapest, most powerful engine per cubic inch and most efficient engine that the Chrysler corporation had ever put out.
I've seen them with the 6.2 in them. I think it was added after production

You know they did make that in a v8. I think last model year was @ 81. Been a long time since I've seen one on the road. They're very impressive. A good friend of mine had a Jeep and it drove really nice. Course it had its Jeep problems
Yeah I remember the old CJ jeeps that had a V8 in them. Those CJ's with the V8 are worth big money these days. I would hate to even estimate what they are worth. Even the 6 banger CJ line are worth a ton. They weren't very safe due to the short wheel base but they were cool Jeeps. There was one in the town I went to high school in and it sounded mean. It had a nice lope camshaft and a real cool exhaust. Sounded absolutely intoxicating. They never much on power back then but the engine and exhaust modifications made a nice addition. For the power and sound. Dang thing would scoot. He must have really enjoyed the exhaust because he got into it every chance he got.

Yeah I remember the old CJ jeeps that had a V8 in them. Those CJ's with the V8 are worth big money these days. I would hate to even estimate what they are worth. Even the 6 banger CJ line are worth a ton. They weren't very safe due to the short wheel base but they were cool Jeeps. There was one in the town I went to high school in and it sounded mean. It had a nice lope camshaft and a real cool exhaust. Sounded absolutely intoxicating. They never much on power back then but the engine and exhaust modifications made a nice addition. For the power and sound. Dang thing would scoot. He must have really enjoyed the exhaust because he got into it every chance he got.
The v8 ones I saw where stout. I also knew another guy that had a Postal Jeep, he had a 327 in it.....

It lasted too long they didn't screw enough people that way the evil in this world makes them put fluoride in our water and they make them make s*** that falls apart

I mean something like a 273 cubic inch hemi. And homage to the old Street beast the 273 super commando. That engine was nicknamed " The terror of the highways ". A high revving, solid lifter cam, four barrel engine that just made gobs of power.
That little engine was a beast.
Had a friend that had one in a little pale blue 2 dr Valiant with three on the tree. Blew quite a few GTOs into the weeds.
Another guy had one in a ‘65 Barracuda. Fast as stink, and the most beautiful factory exhaust sound.
I was working at a Plymouth/Chrysler dealer in those days, got to see and drive some awesome factory special orders.

That little engine was a beast.
Had a friend that had one in a little pale blue 2 dr Valiant with three on the tree. Blew quite a few GTOs into the weeds.
Another guy had one in a ‘65 Barracuda. Fast as stink, and the most beautiful factory exhaust sound.
I was working at a Plymouth/Chrysler dealer in those days, got to see and drive some awesome factory special orders.
Yes sir! That little engine with that solid lifter cam would rev to 8,000 RPM. It really started making the serious HP after 6,000 RPM. They were really conservatively rated at a low RPM but made gobs more power up in the higher RPM's. That little powerhouse in the light Valiant and Barracuda cars really made a great combo for street racing. With the proper rear gear ratio it would allow them to rev fast and get into that strong RPM range very quickly. They were called Super Commando for good reason. They would pull a big block off the line so hard it was a game of catch up the rest of the way down the track. Mopar didn't play back in those days. They were out to make statement back then.

I've owned 3 over the years. First driven by my wife then passed down to my son as she upgraded.

1st Cherokee Country edition
1997-jeep-cherokee-4dr-sport-4wd.jpeg

2nd Grand Cherokee 2004
Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_WJ_34h.jpg

3rd Grand Cherokee 2007
2007_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_Test_Drive_Review_summaryImage.jpeg

The 2004 was the best of the group IMO

Attachments

• Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_WJ_34h.jpg
    Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_WJ_34h.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 1
Back