• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone have a metal detector?

silverado31794

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
130   0
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting one just for something to do. Like walk around in the yard an see if the previous owner was tryin to hide anything haha. What kind do yall have an whats some advantages or disadvantages of it that you like or dislike.

The biggest disadvantage to myself is the fact that you never really think about how many utility lines and pipes and such run through a property lol. its fun but you have to find a good place. in suwanee before it was all grown up, my dad and i went walking through the woods for a few miles and ran across a shack that had been there for a very long time abandoned. well the land got sold and we heard that it was all going to be bulldozed and decided to bring the detector up there. my dad found a some old war metals from the before ww1, i dont remember but i think they may have been civil war. also found a ton of old coins and such that were hidden in the mantle. it was fun but places like that are getting fewer and farther between. very fun hobby though.

A good rule of thumb is that you spend 100.00 per inch of dept that you want to detect. I bought mine at Hobbytown. It is an Ace 250 by Garrett. I havent had much time to go out with it but I have found some 9mm brass that was buried about 4". One thing I like about mine is that it is real acurrate about what coin I scan over. I will be out alot this fall and winter when my work slows down.

Back
Top Bottom