• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone have any good direction for pig hunting?

joshua.neal2012

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
I have been out of the hunting game for a bit - getting engaged, planning a wedding, getting married, moving into a house, wedding photography (my wife does weddings and I shoot with her), and a new baby have put a decent slow on my hunting over the past few years - but I am looking to get started again and take some of my buddies.

They want to pig hunt in particular - does anyone know of any good places to do it, or any property owners who need help in taking care of pig populations?

We live in Northwest, and North Georgia - and would rather not travel TOO far South for it.

*Note - I have family land in Franklin, GA (never seen a pig there in 30 years) and some in Guyton, GA (only seen pigs there once).*

I have been out of the hunting game for a bit - getting engaged, planning a wedding, getting married, moving into a house, wedding photography (my wife does weddings and I shoot with her), and a new baby have put a decent slow on my hunting over the past few years - but I am looking to get started again and take some of my buddies.

They want to pig hunt in particular - does anyone know of any good places to do it, or any property owners who need help in taking care of pig populations?

We live in Northwest, and North Georgia - and would rather not travel TOO far South for it.

*Note - I have family land in Franklin, GA (never seen a pig there in 30 years) and some in Guyton, GA (only seen pigs there once).*
Don’t know if they’re still having problems with them there but Lake Burton WMA had a pretty good population of them a few years back.

Seen many, many posts here and on GON about this exact subject over the past 10 years i've been a member.

My only suggestion is find a hunting club that has hogs there.
Yeah, it costs money. Yeah, it usually isn't around metro, but that's what I had to do.
Private land / Hunt clubs, you don't have caliber restrictions, day or season restrictions, etc. the only restrictions you'd have is whether the club allows hog hunting 24/7/365. Law says OK, some clubs don't allow. Your mileage may vary.

There is always the FT Stewart (4-5 hours from north metro) --- i've never been due to the distance AND all the red tape with register weapons, certain days, etc. But i've seen many have great success....!!!

Keep us posted....!!!

You can always try a guided hog hunt. I’ve heard of some great success but it is hunting. You won’t always see “game”. That’s part of hunting. I would make sure you read the reviews before you send your money on over to them. Lol good luck! Paulding forest and Pine Log WMA’s have hogs but you’re gonna have to put your hiking boots on and scout quite a bit.

I think there are a lot more hogs around and in more locations than people realize. The issue is that from videos and hunting reports from top places we expect them to be crawling all over the place and easy to find. I think with normal populations they are just as difficult to hunt as any big game.

I've hunted on several pieces of property that had hog sign, but only killed two hogs and those were on a single hunt in extreme South Georgia. With that said, the only time I got serious about specifically targeting hogs was that hunt in South Georgia.

To be successful you'll need to scout and figure out movement patterns, then put the time in just as much as if you were deer hunting.

Back
Top Bottom