• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone have experiance with 45 for deer

Abbsnkan

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
55   1
Reaction score
I'm thinking of hunting with my 45 acp this year and was wondering if anyone had taken deer locally with one. What type of factory load have you used and what's your best performing round. Accuracy aside and distance not being a factor I'm looking for real world results. I've found a lot of ballistics and charts and graphs and gelatin tests but other than the strauseburg tests done years ago on goats haven't seen much on factory results. Any ideas?

I've killed several whitetails in GA with a Kimber 45 using Black Talon ammo. I used that particular ammo because I had it and wanted to see how it performed, which was excellent. I would bet any quality HP would work fine with correct shot placement. Also, I have used ball ammo, but for head shots only. It worked as well.

I have a friend that has killed multiple deer with the 45 acp and the 40 s&w out to 35 yards. None of which has gone more than 50 yards, some died on the spot. The 45's he used were a full size Glock and Taurus 1911. Believe it or not he has killed more with his model 27 Glock that any other pistol. All of his shots have been in the heart and lung area with exceptional results. I believe his 45 ammo is 240gr jacketed hollow points and I'm not real sure of the 40.

1 dead whitetail buck with 1 round hit from my Colt Govt.45acp...Drop Dead within 100yd.
I was firing multiple times after the first shot and he bolted..but turns out I only hit him solid on the first round and that was all it took.

I'm going to try the same thing. Just got these for that purpose.

45.jpg

Littlestone Ammunition Excel Elite 185gr Barnes TAC-XP. 1075fps from a 4" barrel.

I'll let you know the results.

Back
Top Bottom