• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone interested in an ODT Offroad "club"?

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
That's the question. Would you be interested in a 4x4/offroad club? Loosely assembled, no dues and such, no real limits of what make/model rig. We just plan a few rides and execute them. I'm in a couple Land Cruiser clubs. Even though there as several members in each, one is near inactive, and the other is a long drive to participate for me.

My hope is that the Jeep vs. Toyota crap can continue in good natured ribbing, but that the guys work together for the benefit of the group. There are places to ride in GA, but some great spots in TN, AL and NC, and some in SC.

I think the "club" (and I put it in parentheses because I haven't run it by the big Kahuna Okuma Okuma , and a club has face to face meetings that tend to be a flop- so "club" works because rides could be arranged online) could facilitate rides for mild to wild, workshop days, and so on.

Interest?

Ideas?

Stupid?

Tacos?

Used to be one on here back when we had groups. maybe some of those same guys will be interested in getting something going again.

I'm in

If there's any trails left to ride it's news to me

I took my bronco to Tellico lots until Trout Unlimited got it closed
If you know anyone with TU
Kick em in the taint for me
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160720_af75c0c53a9b141f962a11560d7fd420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in

If there's any trails left to ride it's news to me

I took my bronco to Tellico lots until Trout Unlimited got it closed
If you know anyone with TU
Kick em in the taint for me
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100% agree with you on Trout Unlimited-

Some good trails still exist in TN, and there are some fun parks up there. AOP is in South Pittsburg, west of Chattanooga, as is "The cove".

I went on a ride for New Years to the Cove with the Southern Tennessee Land Cruiser Association (STLCA). We had near 20 rigs total, including one serious 73 Bronco on 37's, a crazy TJ Wrangler on little 33's, but that thing crawled like nothing- I was told that it was almost not even jeep with trimmed 9" fords front and rear, an FJ40 on 37's, a couple FZJ80's on 37's and a couple more on 35's, then a couple built 3rd gen 4Runners and a near stock FJ80 with 32-33's and a rear locker.

The trails required lockers. We rode from around 9:30am-6pm for three days and only crossed the same place a few times. It was a combination of everything you'd want offroad- slippery hill climbs, rock crawling, off camber routes on the edge of cliffs over the river, river crossings up to 4 feet deep, and about anything else you could want to do.

Here's a thread link with some pics and video. The rivers were seriously deep, but I had no leak in the cab of my 80, or in my axles.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-years-ride.894210/page-12

They went in 2015 as well, and got caught by a flood. The rigs were floating when they crossed the river on the exit!

both AOP and the Cove are about 3-4 hours from north GA.

Uwarhee is in NC and while it's about 5 hour ride, it's good for mild to serious trucks.

Have any of ya'll been down Old Bucktown Road from Nimblewill Gap in the Chattahoochee National Forest?

I thought that was a heck of road in a new 4x4, no winch, no company, no chainsaw and no cell phone reception....
Boy was I stupid, I'm glad I got out of that one ....
But of course that's just fun for someone prepared...

It's close, just off Hwy 52 south of Dahlonega. I could tell you how to get there if you have any interest.

It's been a little while- maybe 3-4 months. It was pretty tame. It seems like they grade the road and make it passable for a Porsche 911, then months of rain go by and it's all tore up and fun. Then they grade it again. When we went, I could have (and may have) stayed in 2wd.

The place that's been popular as of late is Charlie Creek, between Hiawassee and Clayton. I don't know where to turn to hit it from the Clayton side, but if you go east on 76 in Hiawassee, it's off of Upper Hightower Road, a few miles on the left towards Clayton. It's mostly a rough dirt road with some steep hills and a river crossing. Tray Mountain is mostly dirt roads with one decent unmaintained road that can be challenging for a stock truck, fun for a stock locked rig. There is basically one obstacle of washed out that can make you lift a tire, and depending on the line you take, you can lift a tire a few feet. Heading east on it, you can use the downhill nature to compensate for open diffs. Heading west up it, the open diff jeeps are stacking (and leaving) a lot of rocks to get up it.

**If one doesn't know trail etiquette, it's considered polite to remove the rocks after you stack them and make it over the obstacle so that the spot is a challenge for the next guy/group.**

Back
Top Bottom