• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone "never" buy new?

I've purchased only 2 new guns in my life, one was a commercial Colt 1911 .45 in 1976 that I immediately turned around and handed/traded it to another guy for a old beater USGI 1911 A-1, hint--- it runs smooth like a sewing machine.

I have never bought one new from the store. Though I have seen guns on here that are used up for sale for MSRP prices or more. Does that count as buying one new?

Only if you bought it. :)

Never is a word that is used too often. If a new gun is for sale and it's priced well and convenient, I'm pulling the trigger.

Someone mentioned Cherokee Gun - many of their "New" guns are priced no higher than many of the guns here. Not always, and maybe not usually, but often. I'm looking for a gun right now and I saw it cheaper new at Cherokee than I do on the board right now. Whatev.

PS - In the past year I bought two PMRs new - $309 & $369. I will buy the next one I see too.

Last edited:
I'm quite the opposite. I love buying new guns. All of my guns except 2 were new, one was a USP trade in because I didn't feel like spending close to a thousand dollars on a new one and the other was a 5906 which they don't make anymore but this one was uber clean.

I bought a new Marlin model 39 in 1979. Since then I have not bought a new firearm.
I admit, I just love C&R firearms, so it makes it kind of easy for me.

I'm curious: Can anyone else beat this (almost clean) record? Either by bing 100% "used" or > 33 years since purchasing new?

Jhvaughan2, I cannot beat that record. But I have only bought one new gun. In 2007 I purchased a new Kimber Pro II Crimson Trace from a gun store just outside Chattanooga, TN. I still have it and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. The rest of what I own is used.

Realized that trading for used ones here is far better than purchasing new, dealing with crowds, and all the hassle associated with new purchases.

I had a gun store owner order my gun and told me it was the only one he had ordered and would call me when it came in.
I told him he should order two because when it came in I did not want him to decide to keep it for himself since it was a smith .500 magnum and I knew he would want to hang onto it and he assured me that he never keeps a customers order for himself and was only ordering one.
I called every few weeks to see if it came in, nope.
Then one day, a month later I pop in the store and there it was, in the owners hand playing with it.
I asked if it was the one he ordered for me, and he got a suprised look on his face and he said " No, I ordered this one before I ordered yours, yours is still on back order."

I said " Funny because at the time you said Mine was the first and only one you ordered" and he denied he ever said that so I said " I would like my $200 down payment back please."
He got all red in the face and gave me my money back without another word spoken.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom