• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone playing "The Long Dark"?

hey poop head, hate to tell you but general aviation aircraft don't have most of the things you listed lol they don't have any coil, have a battery but that's really just needed for the starter and you don't even need it. the engine uses magnetos and that is plural as in two of them.... just incase one breaks. bet you carry your whole tool set around with you in your back pocket.... a crecent wrench. but then that's why there's federal laws to prevent fools from working on aircraft engines.... as a so called mechanic about the only thing you can legally do is put air in the tires and wash the plane. things you don't know..... aircraft get hit by lightening all the time, that's a non event. aircraft also generate their own static fields around them watched a guy walk too close to the wings of a small plane that had just landed...... remember that old ad, reach out, reach out and touch someone..... lol the guy was four feet away and got nailed. such a pretty blue miniature lightening bolt...... me and the f.b.o. mechanic dragged the guy away and when he came to.... the mechanic simply told him that he'd been warned about walking near planes that have just landed. heck your use to engines that stop when you turn the key off.... not airplanes..... you turn the key off and then you have to hit another switch... it shorts out the mags.. it's not just fancy jets that are protected from emp's .......... further there has been tens of thousands of emp's all across the country.... I even played with them as an older teen.... just to mess with the local po po radar. we smoked them, no I really mean that smoke pouring from the radar unit.... got rid of that speed trap for a few days. and hey if all those hundreds of tests done on the neveda test range didn't knock out anyone's electronics why would one today...... just another case of chicken little.... scared little guy running in circles.

Did a quick search on the game and don't see where an EMP is responsible for the plane crash.
That could have been an assumption since electronic devices don't work. Looks like they wanted to create a scenario where you are stranded in the wilderness with no chance of rescue or running into a group of glampers.

True, they don't specifically call it an EMP although it's fairly clear that it's that or something really similar.

I think the 'story mode' is what will end up describing exactly what the 'quiet disaster' was, but for the sandbox 'survival' mode it's not really important. Anything that you find that's electronic is scrap at best.

hey poop head, hate to tell you but general aviation aircraft don't have most of the things you listed lol they don't have any coil, have a battery but that's really just needed for the starter and you don't even need it. the engine uses magnetos and that is plural as in two of them.... just incase one breaks. bet you carry your whole tool set around with you in your back pocket.... a crecent wrench. but then that's why there's federal laws to prevent fools from working on aircraft engines.... as a so called mechanic about the only thing you can legally do is put air in the tires and wash the plane. things you don't know..... aircraft get hit by lightening all the time, that's a non event. aircraft also generate their own static fields around them watched a guy walk too close to the wings of a small plane that had just landed...... remember that old ad, reach out, reach out and touch someone..... lol the guy was four feet away and got nailed. such a pretty blue miniature lightening bolt...... me and the f.b.o. mechanic dragged the guy away and when he came to.... the mechanic simply told him that he'd been warned about walking near planes that have just landed. heck your use to engines that stop when you turn the key off.... not airplanes..... you turn the key off and then you have to hit another switch... it shorts out the mags.. it's not just fancy jets that are protected from emp's .......... further there has been tens of thousands of emp's all across the country.... I even played with them as an older teen.... just to mess with the local po po radar. we smoked them, no I really mean that smoke pouring from the radar unit.... got rid of that speed trap for a few days. and hey if all those hundreds of tests done on the neveda test range didn't knock out anyone's electronics why would one today...... just another case of chicken little.... scared little guy running in circles.

Not sure why you are so hung up on the EMP thing. As mentioned above they don't specifically call it an EMP, that was just me using a common term to describe it. Doesn't really matter for the purposes of this thread though, since it's about arctic survival in this particular game, not how hardened a bush pilot's plane would be.

I'm actually a lot more curious on the accuracy of the game when it comes to the survival aspects of the game.

From many a cold, cold winter in New England I can say they have a pretty good grasp about heat loss and hypothermia. Probably the single most important aspect of the game is being able to keep yourself reasonably warm. This ranges from building fires on the fly, to maintaining clothing to knowing when to seek shelter rather than trying to make progress to a goal.

Fire also keeps you from dehydrating, which sounds counter-intuitive in a landscape covered with snow, but as most folks are probably aware eating snow lowers your core temperature significantly and can cause rapid hypothermia as well.

My character has survived about 100 days now, but I learned early in the game, no matter what, always have enough fire-starting materials (matches, tinder, etc) and firewood to hunker down and spend a few hours by a fire to warm up and melt & boil some snow for water.

I'll leave my basecamp without my rifle lots of times (that old Enfield weighs a ton), but I'll never leave without 2-3 hours of fire capability. That's killed me too many times in this game, and when you die you go back to square one... no saves to reload if you die.

man.I just got a copy, looks like its gonna be fun.
that said, i am not sure how the OP came up with an EMP.
my copy starts as a Canadian bush pilot is taking his plane for a basic service in California.
after its done and he is flying home, crap starts falling off the plane. it was just in for an oil change and plugs, but the doors,the prop,and half a wing just fell off. it cuts back to California,and the mechanic hears about what happened. ha calls people names like "Mr poopy pants"and "dirty underwear"then he cuts and runs, and ends up on Georgia. then it flashes back to the pilot and the game begins...
funny huh?

For someone who has been on ODT for 18 months and has no trades and barely any posts, you sure are mouthy.
My crystal ball says you will not last much longer around here, if you keep your current course.

For someone who has been on ODT for 18 months and has no trades and barely any posts, you sure are mouthy.
My crystal ball says you will not last much longer around here, if you keep your current course.
Yep. Another one that thinks this is a child's realm, so he's comfortable. Soon enough he'll discover that most people here are adults and don't tolerate his kind of crap.

Back
Top Bottom