• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone playing "The Long Dark"?

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
286   0
Reaction score
First of all, I know, it's a game but it fit better here than any other forum because of the subject matter...

I've been playing this on and off since they were in early access a year or so ago.

The premise is you are a bush pilot flying through the Canadian Northwest territory and some kind of EMP event happens.

EDIT: You crash.

You start in the Canadian wilderness with only the things you have on you. Cold is a huge factor, as is wind, clothes, calories, wildlife and weather.

In 'sandbox' mode the whole point of the game is to not die. If you do, it's 'forever'. No saved games. You start over from scratch.

There's a bunch of fairly large, interconnected maps to explore and scavenge resources from. There are no other people, although you will run into frozen corpses.

There are rabbits, fish, deer, wolves and bears but their behavior ranges from skittish to aggressive (and I'm not talking about the rabbits).

The game is kind of 'low res'... it's a fairly simple game engine with about 2000-ish graphics, but the weather, sound and lighting effects are outstanding. It's very easy to feel that you are truly lost and struggling in the arctic wilderness.

It was written by a Canadian company (Hinterland) and it has more practical arctic survival information embedded in it than anything I've ever seen. More importantly, it really makes you think before each step you take.

It's no shoot-em-up, I don't think I've ever had more than 10 rounds for the rusty old Enfield that's the games only firearm. Instead you end up taking a chance of hunting a deer during a white-out blizzard so you can sneak up close enough to dispatch it with a single round.... you know it may be days before you find another.

Anyway, I know it's not real-world, and it will frustrate the gear-o-holics because it's all about making do, but it's an amazing game and an interesting taste of what it might be like to try and survive in a harsh environment like the Canadian arctic.

BTW, there's also a 'story mode' that uses the same environment but hangs a plot line off it. That's OK but not the games strong point. If you can get up to 100 (in game) days or so in the sandbox mode without dying, that's the real accomplishment.

sounds like a truly boring game. emp???? BFD so you lose the gps and the radio both a none event. you reach down beside you and double check your sectional and the compass... you know it's that round thing up on top of the dash and continue your flight. engine won't be effected at all.... all it is, is that your back to the basics you learned and used from the first flight you ever took. it would be good experience going into a controlled airport that way..... how many of you pilots have ever had to rely on light gun signals from a tower? years ago the FAA safety manager set up a day where we could request light gun signals at long beach ca. airport as almost no one had any real experience.... what a disaster!!!!! the colored filters weren't very good and most of us couldn't tell one color from another.... they got a new light gun after that. lol but i digress..... or maybe experienced sop pilots shouldn't even be allowed around stupid games. most general aviation planes lack the electronics that a emp would effect.

sounds like a truly boring game. emp???? BFD so you lose the gps and the radio both a none event. you reach down beside you and double check your sectional and the compass... you know it's that round thing up on top of the dash and continue your flight. engine won't be effected at all.... all it is, is that your back to the basics you learned and used from the first flight you ever took. it would be good experience going into a controlled airport that way..... how many of you pilots have ever had to rely on light gun signals from a tower? years ago the FAA safety manager set up a day where we could request light gun signals at long beach ca. airport as almost no one had any real experience.... what a disaster!!!!! the colored filters weren't very good and most of us couldn't tell one color from another.... they got a new light gun after that. lol but i digress..... or maybe experienced sop pilots shouldn't even be allowed around stupid games. most general aviation planes lack the electronics that a emp would effect.

the California comes out in you...
let me see if i can help you a little.
an emp wont take out the engine,just the electronics.(now, as a mechanic,i know engines cant operate without electronics. but for a minute lets pretend it a 1920's biplane with upgraded gps) so they could just fly home using sight markers...
sounds interesting, but i am not sure its for me...

see how that works? other than my explanation of engines using electronics to operate,i come across as nice, and uninterested in the game. not "i know more than you and its stupid"

hey poop.... I really don't expect a reply as I'm guessing by now you realized your not much of a mechanic and certainly not an aviation mechanic. poop such a fitting name
depending on year,coils,plug wires, cdi or distributor hei or points type. the points may survive, but hei and coils can and may very well go out due to an emp..
this is about bush pilots using small aircraft, not jets that are emp shielded...
i get your kinda new, but i will not get into a peeing contest with you. thats a real quick way to get the mods on you. if you want to make jabs at me, just do it in pms, we can fight and insult each other without a problem.
headed off to the gun show.. will return any pms later tonight..
have a nice day

OK... first of all that's the intro. You don't get to fly out... you crashed. As PD mentioned, your engine is dead and you go down into the wilderness. No stopping that part.

The game starts with you waking up on the ground, a piece of the plane through your hand (infection risk), shredded clothing (hypothermia risk) and no tools to speak of. There's also no maps (although you can make them as you explore) and no compass (too far up in the arctic?).

And it's going to get really cold once the sun sets.

OK... first of all that's the intro. You don't get to fly out... you crashed. As PD mentioned, your engine is dead and you go down into the wilderness. No stopping that part.

The game starts with you waking up on the ground, a piece of the plane through your hand (infection risk), shredded clothing (hypothermia risk) and no tools to speak of. There's also no maps (although you can make them as you explore) and no compass (too far up in the arctic?).

And it's going to get really cold once the sun sets.
may need to be 100% real for him. wont play GTA because the hookers charge more in real life..

Back
Top Bottom