• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

anyone remember these fishing docks?

swampbuck62

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
I might be dating myself..OK I am 51..

I rode by a large inland lake the other day and for some reason public / private fishing docks came to mind..

I remembered when almost all large lakes had at least one, the type I am talking about were basically a large covered fishing dock.. you would walk out a long cat walk to the fishing pier which was totally enclosed and open inside with a catwalk going around the outer edge you would fish in the middle they were lit inside of course you would pay a day use fee and have at it. The lights attracted bait fish which in turn attacked bigger fish.. They were great for old folks and kids and you could fish in any weather..

I guess these are from a bygone era because I have not seen one in years.. I know there used to be a couple on Allatoona I think one was off hwy 20 near canton on fields landing drive or maybe it was wilderness camp, it was a long time ago even before I moved here..

does anyone else remember these or are there still any around?

Last edited:
They probably went extinct after all the Styrofoam dock floats got banned. Expense of replacing the docks for the modern ones may not have been worth the day use revenue? No idea. I'd like to see them come back too and I have 2 fishing boats and several fair weather docks I can use any time for free.

Back
Top Bottom