Anyone smoked a raw ham before?

Bass Akwards

Default rank 5000+ posts
Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
48   0
Reaction score
My mom asked me to smoke a raw ham, I have never done that one before. Any suggestions? I think she said they are around 22lbs.

I did this one for Christmas last year and it was out of this world

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...oked-ham-with-sweet-holiday-glaze-recipe.html

Cooked ham to 160 IT for a bone in whole ham. I cant remember how long it took I think it was about 26 hours in total and at least a case of beer. I also left it in a brine for 2 days...after further research it seems I should have left it longer

I tired to keep the smoker about 275. I would add a heaping had full of wood chips every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours and then a hand full every 1-2 of hours after that

I call it BBQ. 220-240 degrees for 14-16 hours and you're Good To Go. Is's cooked at around 10 hours. The rest of the time makes it more tender.

Last edited:
Do I need to cure it, if so what does that mean and what internal temp do I need?

A green ham will come out as BBQ. It will not come out like the precooked hams you get at the store. I have smoked a precooked before, and it came out great. As far as green hams, or butts, all I ever do is pulled/chopped pork, and take it to +/- 205. Should fall off the bone.

Last edited:
Last time we did some ,we put 2 whole pork hams on a smoker grill , mop basted em good ever once in a while . Kept em around 200 degrees for more than a day .

Some of the best pulled pork ever :)

Back
Top Bottom