• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone use Seafoam to clean their firearms?

I use a can of brake cleaner
I learned the brake parts cleaner from a gunsmith. I was at his shop one day when a guy ( real dumbass) was bitching about it stripping all the bluing off a Ruger he had. Then he brought the can inside. Turned out to be carb and choke cleaner.

The reason I asked is I was at at AO yesterday...

:behindsofa:

And they had a bunch of Seafoam in the gun cleaning section.

Right next to the Frog Lube...

I wouldn't use anything like that anywhere near polymer components, no idea what prolonged exposure might do to them. Plastics and hydrocarbons don't always like each other.

it works fairly well on carboned parts such as an AR bolt.. just soak the bolt in a bottle of it for 10 minutes or so. lots of other stuff works too

Lots of folks played with it 6-7 years ago when everyone was using a engine carbon cleaner from GM (TEC) that was discontinued.

Seafoam is just:

pale oil
naptha
isopropyl alcohol

a mixture of a light weight oil, coleman camp stove fuel, and rubbing alcohol.

much prefer Kroil for the bore.

should be some old threads on it on Benchrest.com.

I don't see how it could hurt, unless left on for extended periods. But I don't know any that it would be good to keep on every possible gun part.

Do not use Carb cleaner...it can and will **** up some finishes. I know this from experience. I have used brake parts cleaner, with no issue (except it can burn your skin, so wear gloves). Engine degreaser works well, but leaves an oily residue.

Back
Top Bottom