• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone with savage axis experience?

VanillaGuerrilla

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I'm thanking about getting one and was wondering if they are a good low cost option and if any fellow ODT'ers had any experience with the model. Build quality, accuracy, that sort of stuff. Thanks for any info.

The only one I ever shot was very accurate 3/4 in groups out of the box with factory ammo, not a super smooth action , but your not paying for super smooth either, not a bad rifle for the money, good luck

I had one chambered in .270 the gun has a all around cheap feel to it. the action felt horrible and the plastic detachable magazine felt extremely cheap and I could see where it wouldn't take much to break the plastic piece that holds it in place. Having said that, the rifle did come with a scope and would shoot 1" groups at 100 yards all for less than $300. I wouldn't recommend it but for the price it's really not that bad of a rifle.

I have one in 223 Rem. No it ain't no Remington M700 or Winchester M70 but I can shoot 1.5" at 175 yds with my hand loads. Mine prefers the heaver bullets. It's a good rifle for the buck. Might look into the Mossburg or Marlin bolt guns too.

I'll start off by Saying I'm a rabid Savageaholic and love most of their stuff. the Axis/edge is not on the list of Savages I like.
My brother and I both bought one when they first came out labeled as the "Edge" He likes his ok but I hated mine. I'm sure he now wishes he had waited and gotten a 110 based rifle. The trigger was an abomination which I tweaked on both of them and still didn't like it. I couldn't get it to group beyond 3". I sold mine and took a beating on it.
Any of the Savage rifles based on the 110 design are far superior. In my opinion you would be much better off to buy an older used one. Even the old lawyer triggered models aren't as bad as the Axis and the older ones have plenty of aftermarket support as well as being easy to tweak.
If you check the reviews here for Savage edge (exact same rifle) I'm pretty sure I did one with the likes and don't likes on mine.
My advice stay away from the Axis and find a rifle based on the 110 action (models 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, 16/116 all the same design) even if it's used.
Much more gun for your money

Last edited:
Just call up CCF and get a 110 series. Hell I got a Savage hog hunter for $416( about a year ago) with an accustriger, threaded barrel, and large tactical bolt knob. It's a sub MOA gun and loaded with features.

Back
Top Bottom