• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Appleseed Known Distance Clinic

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
This weekend I attended my first Appleseed KD shoot. I can now report that anyone is eligible for attendance that can handle a centerfire rifle. KD Events started out as instructor only, then only rifleman, then previous attendees, now it's open to anyone. I would still recommend attending a 25 meter event because of the fundamentals taught.

The weekend started with a presentation on how to range targets at unknown distances. There is some math, actually there is a lot of math if you want to get deep into it, but the instructors were very good about paring it down to the basics you need to actually make the shot. The basic lesson was that if you knew the general size of your target, and the width of your front sight post in MOA, you can come very close in estimating how far away your target is.

We also learned how to estimate and adjust for wind, the affects of humidity, and how to read and adjust for mirage. The entire class was geared toward making you a better shot with your rifle and your ammo. We were taught how to read ballistics charts, what that meant in real life, and testing that information with real life shooting. Watching POI shift as the day warmed, or seeing the difference between a mag of ammo left in direct sunlight and another kept shaded is instructive.

We started off confirming that our rifles were sighted in, then moved to the 100yd line. We shot a few sighters then shot ten rounds standing at a ghost style silhouette. We then moved back another 100yds to shoot sitting or kneeling. That stage requires a mag change and must be completed in 55 seconds. Back to the 300yd line for the first prone stage. It requires another mag change andmust be shot in 65 seconds, which seems like an eternity after the previous stage. Then back to 400 with all the time in the world.

What Appleseed teaches on the 25 meter line really does translate to success on the field. At the KD you can really put it into practice. You learn about battle sight zero and the come ups for your rifle. Fundamental marksmanship skills do not change with distance. A 3moa shooter is a 3moa shooter. If you can shoot -1" groups at 25, you can put down a zombie at 500.

On Sunday we had a Top Shot competion. When we broke for dinner (apparently only Yankees say lunch) the instructors stayed behind and randomly placed steel silhouettes on the range. After lunch we staged our rifles at another random spot. At this point no one knows how far away the targets are, they will be laser ranged at the end. We are told the three sizes of the targets that were placed and given fifteen minutes to figure out how far away they are. When that time is up we have one minute per target to fire two rounds at each. This is the true skill of a rifleman, to make shots. Score was based on shooting position and a miss deducted the same number of points as a hit earned. The targets went from 115yds to over 650 yards away. I went 1 for 2 on the far target with 55gr fmj. I thought it was 575yds away, a tiny bit off in your range estimation can make a big difference at that distance.

It was a great weekend. I learned a ton of information. Project Appleseed has changed me from a minute of coke can shooter to someone who can range and make hits out past 650 yards. The fundamentals taught at 25 meters are universal and will translate out as far as your eyes can see.

Thanks for the write-up! I've heard a lot about the classes but didn't even know they did KD clinics too. What an awesome organization.

Thanks for the write-up! I've heard a lot about the classes but didn't even know they did KD clinics too. What an awesome organization.

It was the unknown distance training that really pulls everything you know and puts it together. Shooting is tons of fun and I always have a good time. But, when you start to be able to take advantage of the capabilities of the firearm, it becomes something beyond fun.

Where and when is the next one of these?

What is the round count? Centerfire ammo is pretty expensive, and my cheap old mulsurp 7.62 x 51mm isn't really made for precise rifle shooting. That stuff was made to spray towards the enemy in fully automatic mode. If I'm going to shoot some 168 gr BTHP stuff, which costs $1.50 a shot, I don't want to use too much of it.

Where and when is the next one of these?

What is the round count? Centerfire ammo is pretty expensive, and my cheap old mulsurp 7.62 x 51mm isn't really made for precise rifle shooting. That stuff was made to spray towards the enemy in fully automatic mode. If I'm going to shoot some 168 gr BTHP stuff, which costs $1.50 a shot, I don't want to use too much of it.

The next KD clinic will be someone next year, the schedule isn't finalised yet. 1 AQT requires 40-50 rounds and we shot three of them. 12 rounds for the top shot competion. Everything else shot was for sighting/confirming adjustments. But it's ultimately up to you what you shoot, there's no requirement to shoot anything.

As long as your ammo is capable of 4moa when you do your part, it is good enough. Plenty shot tula out of Ar 15s, Greek surplus out of garands, etc..

The Appleseed standard is a rack grade rifle, surplus ball ammo, and making hits on a man size out to 500 yards. I would bet your surplus ammo is accurate enough.

This is on my "to do" list next spring. I'm keeping my eye out for the schedule.

The next regular Appleseed shoots will be: Rising Fawn, October 25th and 26th. Toccoa, November 1st and 2nd. Elberton, November 8th and 9th. Macon, November 15th and 16th.

These are the standard 25 meter shoots, which I recommend as your first. You'll learn the basics of unsupported shooting, and can do the shoot with a 22LR. Trust me, it's much easier to learn the basics at 25 meters, then carry those to an actual distance shoot. There are other things to consider at an actual distance shoot (wind, come-ups, dealing with recoil), so you need to have a good grasp of the fundamentals, or you might be fighting yourself.

Just my 0.02 worth as a guy who's scored rifleman at 25 meters a few times and actual distance rifleman twice.

Back
Top Bottom