• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Appleseed shoot in Rising Fawn, Ga. Sept 13-14

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=12&id_event=2553

Even skilled shooters should try to reconnect with the proper fundamentals. This is also a great way to get women and children introduced to shooting, no prior experience is necessary, just a teachable attitude. There are plenty of range officers on the line to ensure a safe, fun day for all involved. Most shoots have wholesale cost .22Lr available for the children.

Any rifle is welcome on the line, but most shooting is done at 25 meters.

I'll answer any questions that you have. If I can't, I'll get the answer from the Shoot Boss.

My son and I signed up last night. Looking forward to the weekend!
i know a centerfire can be used on the second day, but would it be o.k. if one of us still used a .22 on Sunday? I only have one suitable centerfire rifle.

.22s are good for the entire weekend. If this is your first one it's better to shoot the same rifle all weekend. A good portion of the first day is shrinking your groups and sighting in your rifle. On Sunday you will shoot a lot of AQTs, the scaled down army qualification test. You really want to try to qualify with the rifle you spent all that time getting right on Saturday.

Thank you for signing up with your child, you will have a great weekend together.

Last edited:
None of this is mandatory, but it will be useful to bring.

Make sure your rifles are set up with sling studs. We teach three position shooting using a GI web sling. This can be borrowed, or usually purchased at the event. A sling with 1 1/2" attachments will run, I think, $20.

A shooting mat will make your day more comfortable. A camping pad, blanket, or carpet remnant will also work.

Two magazines are needed for each rifle, extras are always a good idea.

Camp chairs, snacks and anything else to make your day more comfortable. It's also a good idea to pack a lunch. The instructors don't stop during lunch, you don't want to miss what they have to say.

For any who are thinking about signing up for the John Skinner rimfire challenge, this is a perfect event to get introduced to three position shooting. Appleseed's course of fire is similar to one at the event, give your child a leg up on the competion.

.22s are good for the entire weekend. If this is your first one it's better to shoot the same rifle all weekend. A good portion of the first day is shrinking your groups and sighting in your rifle. On Sunday you will shoot a lot of AQTs, the scaled down army qualification test. You really want to try to qualify with the rifle you spent all that time getting right on Saturday.

Thank you for signing up with your child, you will have a great weekend together.

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely stick with the .22s both days. BTW, my child is 20 yrs old, but he's still a kid to me! Since he started college, works part time, and has a girlfriend, it's hard to get any time with him. Wish we had done this years ago. Looking forward to the weekend.

Appleseed isn't a kid's program, it is for everyone. You will learn to shoot groups under an inch at 25 meters without the aid of optics, or rests. The fundamentals we teach will improve your shooting, even if you're skilled already. The skills are foundational, not basic. I would bet everyone would leave a better shot.

Back
Top Bottom