• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ar-15 barrel nuts

sovietak474u

Default rank 5000+ posts
My honor is loyalty
380   0
Reaction score
Ar-15 barrel nuts piss me off just as much as ak shepards hooks. Tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen and the gas tube still does not line up right. Is there a trick to this? Cause I'm about ready to say screw it and grind off a tooth!

tighten to 30 lb. (tighten to 30...back off, again to 30...back off, then again to 30.) Once you reach 30 you tighten until you reach the next hole.( not to exceed 80 lbs) usually is between 45-60 lb. use a short piece of gas tube or an alignment pin. use it once you start torquing past 30. That way you dont have to try to eyeball it. I just hold light pressure on it with your finger and when the holes align, it slides home...done. Assume you are using a proper vise block, torgue wrench, and barrel wrench also a bit of lube on the threads.

Last edited:
I tighten mine to 55ft/lbs, then start the alignment procedure. I use a plastic tube now, but I've used torx/hex wrenches to align before too. It ain't hard, and it makes a big difference. I usually end up with a torque value just below to right at 60 ft/lbs.

Back
Top Bottom