• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR Barrel Advice- Need some expert opinions

ArmedinAtlanta

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
All:

Looking to crowdsource some ideas for a barrel for my upcoming AR build. I am looking for a 20" chrome-lined barrel (M4 feed ramps not necessary), but that's about all the criteria I've come up with thus far. If you have recommendations (based upon your own experience) for the following, let me know:

1. Brand of barrel
2. Twist rate
3. Profile
4. Vendor from whom to purchase

I am looking to spend about $200-$250 for this barrel, so an ultramatch superfancy diamond fluted stainless barrel is probably out of the question, budget-wise. The main qualities I'm looking for are accuracy and weight, fit and finish are less of a priority. Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

Last edited:
20 inch chrome lined .... and 200 to 250 budget .....

whats the plans for the rifle?

But personally Id see if I could find a 1/8 in an Hbar profile ... thats going to be the most common

20 inch chrome lined .... and 200 to 250 budget .....

whats the plans for the rifle?

But personally Id see if I could find a 1/8 in an Hbar profile ... thats going to be the most common

Good question- I'm looking to hunt with this build. It's going to be a flattop (A3?) with rifle gas and a full A2 stock.

20" doesnt give you much advantage.

I would run a 16" Lothar-Walther M4 contour barrel. It gives you something like 80-90% of the capability of the 20" (just a guess on the precentage.) and less weight and cost.

The lothar Walther is what Larue uses. Its accurate as H E L L. just get it cerakoted since it comes in the white.
http://www.lothar-walther.com/473.php

FN 20" hammer forged chrome lined HBAR

The long running rumor is that FN produces barrels for BCM, Noveske and Centurion from these same blanks. ;)

http://www.pkfirearms.com/FN_Barrels/192/c

Description from PKFIREARMS website:

FN Manufacturing 20 inch HBAR Barrel - NO FRONT SIGHTFN Manufacturing 20 inch HBAR (Heavy Profile) hammer forged barrel. Barrel has 5.56 Nato chamber, 1/7 twist rate, M4 ramped barrel extension, rifle length gas system, threaded &#189; x 28 and Mil-Spec phosphate coated. Barrel and chamber are chrome lined to a specification that is almost double the thickness of a standard M4/M16 Mil-Spec barrel and are stamped with the FN oval . These barrels are hammer forged, machined, chambered, chrome lined and completely phosphated by FN Manufacturing.

Material Chrome Molly Vanadium per DIN21CrMoV511 (machine gun steel) Chrome per 1.2.2.2 of MIL-STD-171 and QQ-C-320, Class 2 (conventional hard or flake chrome) Phosphate per 5.3.1.2 of MIL-STD-171 All barrels are stress relieved after forming and prior to further machining Each barrel and extension has withstood the firing of one M197 high pressure test cartridge or SAAMI commercial equivalent without evidence of failure. After proof firing, each barrel assembly is magnetic particle inspected for cracks, seams, and other injurious defects using a current of 400 to 500 amperes for circular continuous magnetization. All barrels meeting this criteria are marked with an “M” and “P” near the muzzle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom