Ar firing pin question

How much do they cost?

The reason I ask, is I have an Adams Arms 5.45x39 upper on a NFA polymer lower. The upper came with a Wolf extra strength hammer spring, but when you shoot surplus ammo, you are bound to get a random fail to fire. Shot the gun today and had maybe 3 "clicks" out of 180 rds fired. I wonder if the titanium firing pin would provide a harder "hit" on the primer?

Every round fired after hitting it a second time.

Do you have a metal fire control group? If you don't have a metal fcg I'd start with that first.

I've got a couple fcg's in the shop if you need to buy one reasonably priced.

There is no way the gain in the split millisecond difference that it might create is not fast enough to effect the gain or loss of a operators finch.... I'm pretty confident that not even Chris Kyle would notice.

THis ....no change to machines accuray other than reducing operator error - and not by very much even then

No way it will improve accuracy. By the way, the primer strike force is a function of mass times velocity and is fixed by the trigger spring. The titanium pin may travel faster, but will impact with the same energy as the slower moving but heavier steel pin. Get one if it pleases you, but I'm an aerospace materials engineer and don't see the benefit.

Do you have a metal fire control group? If you don't have a metal fcg I'd start with that first.

I've got a couple fcg's in the shop if you need to buy one reasonably priced.

Thanks for the offer but I'm just the weekend plinker/shooter. The hammer/trigger group is polymer. I did solve one problem today. I would randomly have a shell bounce off of the deflector and back into the chamber. PIA when you tried to do a mag dump. So I replaced the std buffer with an H2. No issues today at the range with that particular issue. YAY!

Don't put one in a 7.62x39 upper unless you want to listen to clicks. I know because I tried on and it wouldn't set off Wolf primers on a regular basis. Changed back to the steel pin and booms every time.

If you purchase a national match trigger group, most have a lighter hammer to decease the lock time. A lighter firing pin also reduces lock time.

When I built my dedicated 22 rimfire training rifle, I installed a Jewell 2-stage match trigger because thats what I shoot in my HP match rifle. I immediately began to experience a high frequency of misfires, (>50%) because of the lighter hammer. Changing to Federal Gold Medal Target ammo dropped the misfires to <20%. Changing the standard hammer spring to a Wolff XP hammer spring reduced misfires to <5%. Going to a titanium firing pin reduced misfires to <1%. Remember, Weight X Velocity = Force. A lighter firing pin will acheive more velocity. The XP hammer spring increases weight. Together increased force at the cartidge rim.

Regarding improved accurracy, decreased lock-time really benefits the off-hand position more then anything. A master / high master shooter has already mastered the nuances of the off-hand position. The milliseconds gained from a faster lock-time can mean the difference between a 10 and an 9.

Back
Top Bottom