• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR Gas Rings

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
Well I was cleaning an AR today and I noticed the gas rings look jacked up. I have been shooting this rifle and have had zero malfunctions in the past 800 rounds or so(roughly). The rifle only has about 1000-1400(roughly) rounds since new and on these rings. It's a PSA complete carbine upper if that helps, the premium one they offer. Anyways, one of the rings has a wide gap and a lot of play in it, it's either the front one or the back one, the others look fine. I assume the rifle is safe to shoot... but what caused this and is this as big of a deal as the internet says? Some people say(as if they truly know it to be true) that if the bolt won't hold the entire BCG up then you have to replace them. Others say if the bolt drops out on it's on they are worn out... then some people say to shoot it until the rifle does not function properly? What do I need to do? I wanted to shoot it tomorrow and if it makes any difference I usually run nasty under powered steel case ammo through this rifle. Is this one of the extra parts I need to keep? I need real AR advice, not internet warrior wisdom, hope that doesn't offend anyone. Seriously though, thanks for the help.

If you see abnormal wear, then it's time to change them. The normal gas ring test requires you to extend the bolt fully and then place the fully assembled bolt carrier so that it stands upright on the bolt. If it doesn't collapse, rings are good. If it collapses on the bolt, rings are bad. The one caveat to this is when you see unusual wear. If you see that something is awry during normal PM, go ahead and replace them.

I've had one gas ring that was stretched open with a bigger gap and was looser than the others. When slid into the carrier it compressed back like the others. Shot several hundred rounds with no trouble. They are cheap and easy to change.

Back
Top Bottom