• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fun times with Radical Firearms AR

Worked on one today. Feed ramps were trash. It was a 16" 5.56 with a carbine-length gas system, so it should have a .0625" gas port in the barrel. I measured the gas port on this particular RA barrel at .090".
But...but...bigger is better, no?

dug6.png

Buddy got his first AR. Brand new. Got a scope, didn't feel comfortable mounting it, so I offered to mount it for him. That was the start. Got it home, and started noticing stuff on the rifle itself that has blossomed into many problems.

1. Safety installed backwards.
2. No safety detent, just the spring.
3. Castle not installed backwards. Obviously not staked
4. Mag catch not installed properly. Push the release, mag catched extended past receiver and fell out.

So, decided to take the whole thing apart.
5. Worst handguard mounting I've seen. On top of that, 1 of the 2 screws was stripped out.
6. Barrel nut not torqued at all.
7. Receiver extension milled off center. Barely a nub touches and retains the retaining pin.
8. Gas block missing a set screw. Barrel not dimpled.
8b. Has a 16 inch barrel, but uses a pistol length gat tube? Never seen that before.
9. The entire recoil system feels out of alignment. It's rough, choppy, and difficult to operate.
10. Whatever lube they shoved this thing full of feels like glue about 50% dried. Felt like a commie stripping their sks clean.
11. Carrier not staked.
12. No gas rings

I fixed everything I could. I'll still be amazed if this thing runs. I've never had a good view of Radical products, but Jeezus. Wtf.
My buddies AR from them had loose gas block and it still doesn’t function properly.

well, i know where #2 is... detents have a weird way of escaping my hands and eyes once they hit the floor. But I wouldn't continue assembly without it... I guess there they say 'wht i'm not looking for that thing'

Back
Top Bottom